Need help with Sound card (1 Viewer)

Zato

May 23, 2006
Hey there guys! I'm in the process of putting together a HTPC, but am having issues with what sound card to use.

What I need:
Card with digital output, preferably Toslink

I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy XGamer, cause it supports 5.1 and was super cheap ($18 at Fry's). However, the digital output is a 3.5mm jack... and I'd have to use a mono plug converter to use an optical Coax cable. From what I understand, this would be a very bad thing. Even if it wasn't I'd still need to get a converter to convert the digital coax to Toslink.

I looked at other SB cards, including the higher end X-fi ones... nearly all of them have this same type of output jack. I guess not many people use Sound Blaster cards for their HTPCs?

So the thing is, I have to do this on the cheap for now.. until the wife is totally on board with it. But sound is quite important :|.

Any suggestions for how to proceed?

I am considering returning the Audigy and getting a Turtle Beach Riviera, but the reviews on it don't leave me confident of the sound quality.

Also, I don't quite understand how I will be able to capture the digital audio coming from my digital cable tuner. The cable box has digital coax output, but the Haup 150 PVR capture card only has a 3.5 jack for input... Do I need to use the sound card for audio recording as well if I want better than stereo? If so, that would definately play into my sound card choice.

Thanks alot!

surfermc

Portal Pro
May 7, 2006
Dorset
Home Country
England England
I'm currently condsidering the M-Audio 24/96 card. This appears to be well respected in the music world. I'm not after a card to play games.

The other make that seems to be well respected is RME.

Neither of these brands have "cheap" models.

MC

Zato

May 23, 2006
Thanks for the reply, but as I mentioned those high end cards are out of my price range right now.

Right now I'm looking now at getting the Chaintek AV-710 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16829120103

Or I could spend another $20 to get the Creative Optical I/O module thingy and use that with the Audigy. Only reason I'd consider this is the Audigy has a Firewire port that I'd otherwise not have.

Anyone else have some input? Especially concerning capturing the audio from my digital cable box? I just want to be able to playback the programs I capture from digital cable in at least the same sound/video quality as if I was watching it normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom