need info from anyone using maxtor shared storage plus drive (1 Viewer)

jamesm

Portal Member
May 28, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a network based hard drive to store my media files on so i dont have to keep my other pc switched on all the time.
i've had a look around and i found 2 that sounded ok
Netgear SC101 (approx £80)**does not come with any hard drives**

200Gb Maxtor shared storage plus (£100)

i liked the easy upgradabilty of the sc101 but found some issues on the netgear user forum concerning the hard drive sleep feature and the fact that it wont wake up without having to reboot everything. plus a few other problems.

the problem i have is getting some reliable info about the maxtor version concerning the hard drive sleep feature does it work properly. are there any problems i should know about that would affect me using it to stream music and video files to mediaportal.

how easy is it to use.

Any help or alternatives would be grately appreciated.

James

jasonb

June 9, 2006
Kansas USA
Hey, I am using the 300GB version of the Maxtor network storage drive. It works like a charm. The setup is easy. The sleep feature is not even noticable. I have mine set up to sleep after 20 minutes of no use but it comes back up no problem. I have had it running since Feb and have not had to restart it for any reason. It just sits quietly on my network. It is also silent and does not get hot at all. So I can deffinately suggest this drive.

jamesm

Portal Member
May 28, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply jasonb.
i'll get the 200Gb version in a week or two then add an external usb drive to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom