Codecs Need new codecs (1 Viewer)

zethaaron

Portal Member
June 29, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi, I'm very new to Media Portal, and would very much appreciate some help.
You see, the majoraty of the videos I have in Media Portal, I ripped myself, and are in AVI format with XVID or DVIX codecs, I need as many new codecs as possible, I'd really like to have Media Portal setup just like VLC, in the sense that it'll play anything that comes it's way. I've already tried the Klite codec pack, didn't help. So please, if you have download links for as many codecs as possible and instructions on how to install, or a way of taking the codecs from VLC so that Media Portal can play anything it can, help would be great.
Thanks.

zethaaron

Portal Member
June 29, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
Thanks, I'm on a seperate computer from the one installed now, I'll reply in a bit when I've tried it.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I need as many new codecs as possible,

Nope wrong, you need the relevant codecs to play your files, without breaking anything in windows.

i would advise running filmerit (signature) to make sure nothing is already broken.

zethaaron

Portal Member
    June 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I need as many new codecs as possible,

Nope wrong, you need the relevant codecs to play your files, without breaking anything in windows.

i would advise running filmerit (signature) to make sure nothing is already broken.

First of all, I DO need as many as possible, I like knowing that whatever I get can work , second of all, breaking windows? Gimme a break, you need to be more specific.

Sosh, it didn't really help, although I realized I don't have the newest MediaPortal, I'm uninstalling it, installing the newest and trying again.

Valharion

Portal Member
    June 16, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

I think the best advice I would give you is to create an image with a clean install of MediaPortal without any codecs (I use Acronis True Image Home). Then reimage each time you try installing different codecs. I found if I installed/uninstalled trying different things eventually nothing would work properly (I would get audio desyncs

Personally I recommend: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ayback-all-my-various-multimedia-files-82443/ for Windows XP.

I would recommend: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ers-dxva-ready-h-264-vc-1-a-44614/#post300495 for Windows 7.

That's what has worked for me and both packages have played everything. Make sure the video's you test on are locally stored (to rule out network issues) and play fine on other machines.

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I DO need as many as possible, I like knowing that whatever I get can work

I think what people are trying to get at is that you need as FEW codecs as possible in order to get everything to work. Install too many and you will get conflicts, something will break, and because you have a metric crap-tonne of codecs installed you won't be able to work out what it is or how to fix it.

Follow the suggestions above, they will get everything I've ever tried playing working.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You definitely don't need as many as possible, actually as few as possible is best.
    I recommend stay away from other codec packs, uninstall any that you already have installed, and install either saf 4 or 5 instead.
    I prefer manually registrying the individual codecs and using radlight fitler manager, but i think that is beyond you, and saf codec packs are very very good, tailered to mediaportal, and constantly updated by users here.

zethaaron

Portal Member
    June 29, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Beyond my level? I learn quick. Anyway, the only codec pack I have installed is SAF, but seeing as I'm on XP and it hasn't helped, I'm going to uninstal and instal Finally: I have correct playback of ALL my various multimedia files
    Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know if it works

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    sorry didn't mean to sound condescending, just meant that based on ur question u don't have a good understanding of how codecs work (yet ;-P ) ... and also with SAF you don't need to understand it just works well. good luck. PS. I use SAF with XP, I have 3TB media, and there are very few files it doesn't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom