Need remote that works in Win XP Pro ... problem with Hauppauge remote... (1 Viewer)

lodger_001

November 20, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Just got my HTPC put together yesterday, which includes a Hauppauge 1800 and its bundled remote. After getting everything setup i noticed that the remote would not work. In the device manager it was listed as "MCE TRANCEIVR Emulator device 2006". After some searching I found that I needed to install the eHome IR rollup off of microsoft's web page. Still didn't work. After some more searching, I tried a hack I found to trick it into installing the drivers, which it did. After that the IR dongle now lights up when I push a button on the remote. For about 15 minutes it worked in media portal, though poorly (it acted like one of the button's were stuck any time I pushed a button). I tried rebooting at this point and now it doesn't work at all again. I've got the black 45 button remote, and from a few things I've read, it only is supported with vista.

Are there any remotes that work natively with XP Pro, or at the very least without a bunch of hacks?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    After getting everything setup...

I don't have one myself, so I can't really help, but just to make sure:
    In MP Configuration, are you able to select "Use Hauppauge remote"? This would indicate that the Hauppauge components are installed. On my system, I cannot select it since it is not installed.

For anything related to remotes I tend to refer to IR Server Suite. Maybe you can read and/or try.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just got my HTPC put together yesterday, which includes a Hauppauge 1800 and its bundled remote

Did you install the Hauppauge software, which will install the driver for the remote as well.

ps according to hauppauge it is xp compatible

Lomax01

Portal Member
    October 19, 2007
    London
    Home Country
    Uninstall everything you have previously installed to get the remote working and install the attached file (IR32) as it's all you need. Once installed, go to the remote settings in Media Portal and select the Hauppage remote and it should work.

lodger_001

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    I've got the latest version of the hauppauge software i saw on their website, 3.4 and IR32 installed. MP will let me pick hauppauge under the remote section. From a few places I've looked this remote and blaster (RRS9002-86XXF &RXX6000-0141E) appear to be for vista only http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13010
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=13787&highlight=driver

Guess I'm gonna try to get in touch with their customer service and get it traded in, hopefully that goes well :mad:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    You have now lost me, HVR1800 ATSC TV card, American flag and you are pointing to uk websites where this card is not sold\supported.

According to Hauppauge.com this is completely XP compatible, does this remote actually plug into the TV card or is it usb based.

lodger_001

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    sorry, the card itself is working in XP pro, its the IR dongle/remote that isn't. Unfortunately, hauppauge doesn't have US forums, but they have a US section on the UK forums which is where that second link is from. The first link is for a different card but they have the same model remote and problem I'm having. The IR dongle is USB.

Portal Member
    March 23, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ive tried a few remotes.
    The Microsoft MediaCentre remote works very well & was designed for HTPC's. No drivers needed for XP or Mediacentre. The remote itself is also pretty well laid out with some backlit buttons.
    The x10 remote also works very well (in mediaportal) , however, some of the buttons are too small.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    microsoft remote works perfectly. no drivers needed. i recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom