Nested bullet lists in the Wiki (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I want to use a bullet list within a list item of an outer bullet list. Some problems:

(1) I cannot discover how to do this within the rich-text editor. Is it possible?

(2) I switched to the plain text editor and coded the xml tags directly (I spent 25 years coding GML tags in design documents, so I am well accustomed to doing this!). That works, sort of o_O. The inner bullet list is correctly formatted, but the xml processor uses the same bullet symbol as the outer list (a solid disk). It should use a different bullet symbol (such as a circle).

(3) I tried specifying the bullet symbol on the UL tag, but the editor discarded it when I applied the changes. I tried this:

<ul list-style-type="circle">

This is shown as an example in a page illustrating xml markup somewhere on the internet, but there seem to be so many xml variants these days that it is difficult to know whether "list-style-type" is the correct name for the attribute, or whether "circle" is a valid value. Anyway, I should not have to specify the bullet symbol manually for nested lists -- the xml processor should automatically choose a different symbol for each level of nesting.

So, how do I get this to work correctly? Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if you want to use circle or anything on sublists just add this to the li-tag
    Code:
    <li style="list-style-type: circle;">
    added it to your last edited page: On-Screen Display as an example

Anyway, I should not have to specify the bullet symbol manually for nested lists -- the xml processor should automatically choose a different symbol for each level of nesting.
    that should be the case but Atlassian set a css-rule to ul--lists that overwrite browsers behavior.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    added it to your last edited page: On-Screen Display as an example
    Thank you! :) I will make the same change to the other nested list on that page.

that should be the case but Atlassian set a css-rule to ul--lists that overwrite browsers behavior.
    I am surprised that I have to specify the override on each <li> tag in the nested list. I would have expected to be able to specify the override once on the nested <ul> tag, and have that override apply to all of the <li> tags within that nested list. :( Oh well, at least it is possible to get the result that I want. (y)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom