[no Bug] .net exception when initialising Client after self-wake-up of system (1 Viewer)

Newman

Portal Member
March 22, 2010
Home Country
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Wide
Windows Version: XP SP3 inc. all updates
CPU Type: Intel P4 3.2GHz
HDD: Western Digital 160GB
Memory: 1GB DDR2
Motherboard: Dell GX280
Video Card: Nvida G8400GS
Video Card Driver: 196.21_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe
Sound Card: integrated
Sound Card AC3: no AC3
Sound Card Driver: default Dell
1. TV Card: Asus U3100
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 3.6.0.5
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Dell GX280
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

I have an interesting problem with MediaPortal, that I've observed in the earlier 1.x.x beta builds, and is also there in the 1.1.0 RC1.

The problem: I get a .net exception when attempting to start the client interface if the system has woken up of it's own accord.

I have my system set to go into standby after 10 minutes of inactivity. The system wakes up, records shows and goes back to sleep without a problem.

I can wake the system up (wiggle mouse or press power button), use it, and let it go back to sleep without a problem.

If, however, the system has woken itself up for some purpose, e.g. EPG update or show record, then it seems that MediaPortal only initialises the TV server, it does not initiate the client interface. To wake up the client, I need to wiggle the mouse or send an IR power command to get it to initialise the client.

When the screen appears after wiggling the mouse to initiate the client (warm-up on my plasma is ~10 seconds) all I see is a .net exception dialogue. If I click OK to this exception dialogue, the MediaPortal client user interface then loads and appears to work as normal.

I'd love help to solve this problem. Having to click OK to this .net exception dialogue is getting me out of the couch way too often.

Edit: I also use MST because the Dell doesn't go into standby when it should. This is a PC dedicated for media centre duties, so everything on the system serves that purpose.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So MP is left running when you go into standby, try enabling the setting under general to restart MP on resume (Nvidia fix).

2010-03-04 22:08:57.734375 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: D3D: Exception: Warning: Nothing will be rendered.
    The reference rendering device was selected, but your
    computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device
    installed. Please check if your graphics card and
    drivers meet the minimum system requirements.

from error.bak.

Newman

Portal Member
    March 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks for that.

I'm using a generic Nvidia GeForce 8400GS with pretty recent Nvidia drivers, so I don't quite understand why my device offers reduced functionality. After clicking OK to the exception, MediaPortal seems to work just fine.

MediaPortal was already configured to restart on resume as I could never to get the MediaPortal interface to work on resume otherwise. I've just enabled the option to apply the workaround to prevent MediaPortal freezing on resume on some systems and will let you know.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ps. the new nvidia drivers suck, both my gt220 and 6600gt rigs BSOD with anything after 190.45 and a lot of people are having issues post 186 drivers according to their forums.

Newman

Portal Member
    March 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Hmm, I still have the issue.

Thanks for the tip about the Nvidia drivers. I'm on 196.21. Will try going back to an older version and report back.

Newman

Portal Member
    March 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Hmm, nup. I still experience this error on Nvidia drivers 186.18.

Any further help or tips on where to look next greatly appreciated.

Newman

Portal Member
    March 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I've just done a completely fresh install using 1.1 RC2, after doing a full uninstall of RC1. I am still getting a .net exception when the PC wakes up and starts MP. Any further help would be appreciated.

I've tried nVidia drivers 186.18 and 196.21 as well as the ones from the Windows Update site. I've tried re-installing all the .net redistributables. I've tried just about every possible combination of options on the general MediaPortal configuration panel. I've updated my CODEC pack to K-Lite 5.9.4. I've tried making MP delay for 20s on start-up just in case the exception occurs due to something being initialised... I'm stumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom