Network storage devices

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by eetaylog, August 12, 2008.

1. eetaylog

eetaylog Portal Pro

Electronics technician
    Ratings:
    +44 / 2
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    At the moment im running a media centre that accesses all my films, music and photos from a remote desktop server that uses wake on LAN, so whenever i turn my media centre on, it wakes the server up through a wired network connection.

up until now ive been fairly happy with storing my media this way, but there are the odd occasions when the wake on LAN function doesnt work properly, so the server ends up staying on permenently and wasting power (one example was when we came home from holiday a few weeks ago, and the server was booted up, so mustve been on all week).

i want to find another way of attaching network storage, so that its only powered up when i want to access data stored on it.

ive looked at various options such as NAS, but i was wondering if there are any other ways of doing it, such as a usb solid state device with RJ45 ports that doesnt need any external power (im looking for 2Tb of storage by the way)?

sorry for the essay! any help appreciated

:D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!