[New: Alpha version] A learning personal EPG (1 Viewer)

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    O.K. Here is the idea. Let´s see if there is enough interest and if a programmer jumbs on it :)

Create some sort of personal TV-Guide which covers your specific interests.

The programming should be able to learn from the viewing habits of the user.

You would need to develop a scoring model.

3 ideas:

1) Define some interests in a setup:
    This could be categories like "Science Fiction" "documentation" or keywords like "Lost" "Simpsons" "Brad Pitt".

2) Score broadcastings that have been selected for recording. Save the scores for title, categories and actors.

3) Score broadcastings which have been viewed (say minimum for 10 minutes.

4)....
    5)....

In this way you could present a tv guide (in addition to the normal complete guide)with all the shows that might interest the user. Might be a familiy guide than in most cases where more than one user is in the household.

(The basic idea was already here in the forum about a year ago. But I can´t find it anymore)

So, what I like to know is:

a) Do you like the idea? Could this be usefull for you?
    b) Further ideas on how the algorythm should work?
    c) What should the output look like? 1,2,3 days? Limit the programs per day to, let´s say 20? Those with highest scores?
    d) A couple of new and skilled programmers have joined the forums lately. Any one of them looking for a new project? I can help with ideas and testing.
    I know stability is important. But this is something on which someone not from the core dev team could work on.

tomtom

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi tomtom,

I like your idea. What is usefull for me is to input some categories or some keywords and MP will show you what is coming up the next days.

I have some programming skills, and I will start working on this idea.
    Let us talk in the IRC a little bit more about this.

Bavarian

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Bavarian said:
    Hi tomtom,

I like your idea. What is usefull for me is to input some categories or some keywords and MP will show you what is coming up the next days.

I have some programming skills, and I will start working on this idea.
    Let us talk in the IRC a little bit more about this.

Bavarian

Thats great to hear!

I think this could be developed in different steps. So the input thing could be a good start (remember an epg search for a single keyword can be done already).
    Although I really like the "learning idea".

2 more thoughts:

4) Maybe a context entry: "Add to my personal TV Guide" and "Drop this show from my personal TV-Guide". The drop thing could only count for the show title, not categories or actors. This way the user could overrule the program selection and improve the learning curve of the program.

5) Maybe do a comparison of the personal EPG suggestions with the watched shows in the sense of a learning curve for the personal epg.

Already tried to catch you on irc. Will try again.
    Allthough some more enthousiastic postings from other forum members wouldn´t harm. It is only worth starting it off, it it is interesting for more users than me ;)

tomtom

yazybones

December 13, 2004
    Hi,

TiVo basically had a voting mechanism where you could rate shows by giving them a thumbs up (i.e good), or a thumbs down (bad). The more thumbs up (1 - 3) the more you liked the show, and vice-versa.

Using these ratings TiVo would learn your viewing preferences and
    automatically record shows it felt you'd like. This feature was great as it meant you didn't need to scour the epg yourself looking for interesting shows, it was all done automatically by TiVo.

I've been looking for something to develop for MediaPortal and would be very interested in helping code this.

Yazybones.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi guys, this sounds like an excellent future plug in with lots of coding support. I can't wait to see a beta ;-)

I really like the idea of being able to define key words. I assume that MP will record any show with the key word somewhere in the title/description. Bring it on :D

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

I am currently putting the concept together. Therefore let me know all of your ideas.

Bavarian

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

i also like this idea. :)

Click a button and you become the whole daily plan (as couchpotato ;).

And very nice would be to get notice of programs you would have missed otherwise, if the algorithm is ok....

This will be the most tricky part, i think. You need a database structure to collect points for certain programs, genres and eventually the duration. Eg. these sections 0-30 minutes, 30-60 minutes, 60 - 120 minutes and 120+. This would tell MP, if you like more seires or movies.

A program / genre should get more points for recording, than just watching.

Hmm, just some short though of mine. :)

Looking forward!

Flip

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom