[New: Alpha version] A learning personal EPG (1 Viewer)

TimmyT

Portal Pro
October 18, 2004
Zurich
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
tomtom21000 said:
4) The first beta1 will include the wishlist and may also contain already the gathering of information from live_tv, recorded_tv

Great Ideas! unfortunately I missed the hot phase of this thread. nevertheless, I'll come up with another thought...

If the algorithm observes the live_tv and recorded_tv, it could also have a look at "my movies". that would include all movie files (with IMDB infos) on my disk as well as the dvd's I've watched. There you would have a lot of information like genre and actors that could be included in the algorithm.

an example:
The movie "Terminator 3" is found in the my movies database (genre=Action/SciFi, actor=Arnold Schwartzenegger). If "Terminator 1 / 2" or "Total Recall" (same genre, same actor) are found in the EPG, I might be interested to watch/record those movies as well and they could be listed in my personal EPG.

just a thought...

Bavarian

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2005
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi TimmyT, Hi Jetboy

thank you both for your suggestions/ideas. I like the idea to check the movie database and will investigate this after the first beta. Also a profile system will be helpful.

Keep up posting your ideas.

Due to some hardware problems at my HTPC, the first beta will be released earliest beginning of next year.

Bavarian

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Ralph: yes I noticed that sceneo has implemented a very similar feature. Alone, I was not able to find any information on their scoring model.

Jetboy: Not sure if I understand 1. fully, but I think I get the idea. Number 2 really is a point. Might be that my personal epg will be full of "Conan , the detective" or other japanese cartoon series my kids love to watch.
    Also, if you watch certain shows like "playboy bunnies" regularly, it will show. Personal epg will be optional, as i see it, either someone uses it or not.
    As for profiles, I am afraid this makes it difficult to handle and implies too much manual input. It´s easy for the wishlist, but viewings and recordings? But I´ll keep this in mind, as we go along the road.

TimmyT: Good idea. I´ll put it on my virtual list of possible features.

And yes. Work is in progress.
    Keep your ideas coming.

tomtom

Program.X

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Ramsey, Isle of Man
    This is interesting!

As a TiVo user, I am investing in the MP idea (in terms of getting a new PC/OS/maybe testing/dev time) to replace TiVo in the longer term - but TiVo functionality is really important.

So if you would like TiVo-related feedback, I'd be happy to oblige. I have hacked my box sufficiently enough to be able to get at some of the innards by telnet/TivoWeb.

My only real negative point on TiVo is this:

I had "Manchester" as a keyword, as I come from Manchester.

This would tape things related to Manchester beautifully.

But if Manchester Utd play (and I can assure I most certainly am NOT interested in them!), this would be picked up.

But, the thumbs wouldn't have any effect, because the Manchester wishlist entry supercedes the software thumbs preferences.

So some concept of a NOT operator would be brilliant.

I would be most interested in trying this out, if not helping to take it further, but before I commit, I would like to be able to purchase a MP-capable PC.

nookycook

December 3, 2005
    norfolk, uk
    Only just downloaded MP but have been using MCE 2005 for several months. Found MCE's epg far too clunky :x so using www.tvtvco.uk to browse listings.

The big advantage is that one can set up macros including for various categories as has been discussed here. :?: So it may be worth checking out. :?:

I have 2 macros set up to list the programmes broadcast on the 10 channels I watch. for TODAY and TOMORROW. I can then scroll through marking any of interest. Then I click "job list" and my selection is listed and clicking on a single icon sets them to record.

To leave tvtv and enter MP fantasyland the advanced record choices such as series could already be marked and set to record. On my personal wish list :lol: would be to set up a macro for the radio stations and the programmes recorded could be in a library file in MY RADIO.......

Hope this sparks some ideas :idea:

:p

pglenn

Portal Member
    January 7, 2006
    This would be great, I have been searching thru several HTPC applications for an "acceptable" TV listing/scheduling. My wants
    - auto-select future recordings by keyword (ie DUNE in title)
    - view/sort listings by genre (sports, drama, etc)
    - auto-resolve disputes (based on scoring, future showings, etc)
    - setup "record all showings", "record all from chanel-x", etc

I would be more than happy to assist in testing if needed.

Patrick

Program.X

Portal Pro
    October 25, 2005
    Ramsey, Isle of Man
    Usability wise, I think if it can be made integral to the existing program (or even less would be better), then that would be ideal. SImplicity of TiVo scheduling - despite its intelligent and often entirely autonomous scheduling decisions - is impressive.

I tell you what I love to see: little icons next to programs in the EPG and in their information screen. Pictures say a thousand words and all that.

This could turn out to be really complex in the guts of the application, and it would be a shame to turn people off "releasing" control of recording to MP.

I do find the Summary screen useful in MCE, which shows what is upcoming and what will be recorded/conflicts. Therefore, the user sees this even though they aren't looking for it, and therefore don't have to miss anything. I don't know how this could work in MP, as you have your Live TV window at that position, but I felt a key weakness in TiVo's package was the way you had to go out of your way to check for conflicts. Indeed, a lot of people at the TiVo Community have a daily email running which advises them on a daily basis what is beign recorded and what is ocnflicting. I don't suggest this is necassary - it's absence proves a good and usable package - but a clear reminder would be important I think.

Luckily enough, Sky is so full of rubbish and repeats if you missed anything it would doubtless be repeated anyway - but still ....

Again, if anyone has any questions about how TiVo works, please do get in touch. I don't have Sky+, but if anyone has experience of that, then that would also be useful (I need to get my stepdad to make the investment for me so I don't buy into SKy any more than I have to!)

My point is: Simple is best, and nothing is simpler than a set-top box or similar consumer device.

pete.keys@virgin.net

Portal Member
    February 14, 2006
    Hiya. Having used a tivo( which I think is the coolest product that no-one has beaten yet), there are three things sort of mentioned above that I think will make the killer app:

1) Tivo's ability to mark interest by actor & director - both manually and automatically - and then record films/programs with these profiles automagically.

2) Tivo only has one profile - as mentioned above - so I have friends with 2 tivo's a his and a hers - as their profiles are completely different!!! It would be cool if you could build in several profiles and consequently being able to look at recorded programs by say "profile pete", "profile pip" or "all".

3) The ability when automagically recording, to recognize the film, series, episode setting so as to not get multiple copies of the same film or episode on often repeated programs (as happens on sky/freeview).

Looking forward to trying the beta tonight when I get home.

I have a question though. I susbscribe to digiguide - £8 a year and has loads of details on films ie actors ratings etc. I have just used webepg to pick up this info for my DVB channels but it doesn't seam to have picked up any more info that I get over the air EPG. Is there something I have missed. I would like to have all the info in MP so I don't have to keep switching between the digiguide and MP fron ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom