[OTHER] New Card - Suggestions (1 Viewer)

WallaceTech

Portal Member
February 12, 2010
Hi guys. I am from the UK.

Right now i am using the on board Intel graphics card in my Media Portal and although it plays most .MKV fine there is the odd one its finding hard.

Can anyone suggest a good Graphics card, must be low profile \ half height. Not looking to speand loads so less than 100 pounds would be good.

I dont play games only DVD, Blue Ray , MKV files.

Thanks in advance

Craig

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi guys. I am from the UK.

Right now i am using the on board Intel graphics card in my Media Portal and although it plays most .MKV fine there is the odd one its finding hard.

Can anyone suggest a good Graphics card, must be low profile \ half height. Not looking to speand loads so less than 100 pounds would be good.

I dont play games only DVD, Blue Ray , MKV files.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Hi Craig,

Personally I have always gone with NVidia in the past. However, I have ATI onboard graphics in my main HTPC and see no problems, although there are many threads in the forum discussing buggy drivers, and I would say more of them are about ATI than NVidia.

Personally, I would go with NVidia, and anything fairly recent should be fine. I'd go with 1GB graphics memory. Maybe something like this

Buy CCL Choice GeForce GT220 1GB 1GBGT220CCLValue from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware

assuming it comes with a low-profile bracket. You certainly don't need anything too expensive or sophisticated.

Best wishes,

Mark

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Would also support nvidia gt 220, but be aware, they are having problems with some systems under the latest drivers, saying that, mine works fine with the manufacturers 190.45 drivers supplied on installation cd.

Asus also do one low profile, but apparently noisy, as this card is aimed at the htpc market and very light gamers (nothing fancy), should be lots of passive ones coming onto the market during the next couple of months (like freeview HDTV :)).

WebKnight

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2006
    Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    +1 for GT220, just bought one with a heatsink instead of fan (msi n220gt-md1gz) and it works very well! Had problems with heavy stuttering with Live-HDTV on my Geforce 8300, with GT220 it runs smooth as silk :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom