New CPU (and board...) (1 Viewer)

Wonderm00n

Portal Pro
September 12, 2007
Seixal, "a margem certa"
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi there,

I'm sick of struggling with my HTPC to make it quieter and cooler... My main problem resides on the CPU: a P4 3.0 which is a hot bitch! Also the case does not help (3RSYS HT-1100).

So I think I really need to change CPU, and off course :( motherboard...

What (cheap) CPU do you recommend, that is obviously more performant than the current one, and runs (much) cooler?

Damn... I didn't want to spend more money but I guess I'll just have to! :mad:

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    cheapest: AMD 64 CPU for about 20 euro's second hand an a MB for about 40 Euro's. AMD has CnQ so temp should be a lot less.

AMD 64 i got runs a idle about 39 degrees

Wonderm00n

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2007
    Seixal, "a margem certa"
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Cheap and power efficient:
    AMD BE-2350 + AMD690G-based mobo w/integrated 1250 gfx(if you have a gfx you want to use, consider a 690V)

And with this CPU, will I get better performance than I have with my current P4 3.0?
    And the gfx, is enough to Media Portal, and NVidia PureVideo set to use hardware acceleration?

Thanks in advance,
    Marco aka Wonderm00n

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I believe this CPU is equal to AMD X2-4000 (if I remember right). I don't dare make the comparison you ask, though - but remember that this is a dual-core (2x2GHz I believe) with lots of new technology.

The onboard gfx is actually a ATi X700 (again: if I remember correct). It supports DXVA and ATi's AVIVO. You can off course use PureVideo. I remember someone having a issue with AVIVO and MP. Try a search to see if it was solved (user: gubi - I think)

(Btw: DXVA = hardware acceleration)

The BE 2350 has a TDP rating of 45W (simular to somthing like 55W Intel TDP?) - and the 690G has very low power consumption as well (try google). Later BIOS gives increased HD performance as well.

Wonderm00n

Portal Pro
    September 12, 2007
    Seixal, "a margem certa"
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    I believe this CPU is equal to AMD X2-4000 (if I remember right). I don't dare make the comparison you ask, though - but remember that this is a dual-core (2x2GHz I believe) with lots of new technology.

The onboard gfx is actually a ATi X700 (again: if I remember correct). It supports DXVA and ATi's AVIVO. You can off course use PureVideo. I remember someone having a issue with AVIVO and MP. Try a search to see if it was solved (user: gubi - I think)

(Btw: DXVA = hardware acceleration)

The BE 2350 has a TDP rating of 45W (simular to somthing like 55W Intel TDP?) - and the 690G has very low power consumption as well (try google). Later BIOS gives increased HD performance as well.

A quotation for this CPU and Mobo has been asked to my supplier ;-)
    Thanks!!!

OgdenP

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2007
    Home Country
    In my HTPC, I am using an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard with an AMD 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHz) overclocked to 2.5GHz. I am using the stock air cooler and the processor temp never exceeds 35 degrees C. Consequently, the fan never run faster than about about 1700 RPM, which I find is quite acceptably low noise. As the BE2350 is a lower power unit, it should be even better.

I have trouble playing back recorded HD TV, though it plays HDTV it straight off the adaptor without trouble, which I find a bit strange. This doesn't bother me too much as I record in SD to save disk space. Unfortunately, I don't have PureVideo, so I can't comment about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom