New CPU + MB + PSU + RAM (1 Viewer)

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello all,

It has been a while since I had any problems with my HTPC.

Unfortunately, my HTPC started a month ago with strange problems. First it stops during Internet browsing, later is began giving the windows blue screens.
So it start removing hardware: harddisks, fans, ram etc. To find the problem in the hardware. At that moment removing the boot harddisk solved the problem, the blue screens where gone. So i bought a Samsung F4 320gb drive, and started to setting up the the HTPC again.
But when I almost finished installing and configuring mediaportal, the hole system stop at once... :mad: Het power led of the motherboard where blinking slowly. Pushing the startup/shutdown button didn't work. I had to remove the power supply cable and wait 5 minutes before i could get the system to start again. I was happy hearing the noice of the fans again, unfortunately thats the only thing that happens, no BIOS or startup image where displayed... I try ed an other GPU, no luck there.

So I assume that the Motherboard or the PSU is broken...

Because this hardware is already 5 years old I think it is has no purpose to by a new MB and continue using the old other hardware, so i want to rebuild my HTPC with the following hardware. If i replace the PSU, CPU, RAM and MB then the complete system has not any hardware that's older than 1 year, the other stuff had I replaced last year.

I want to rebuild my HTPC with this hardware:
  • Case: Silverstone LC20B (existing hardware)
  • PSU: No idea yet. Must have a high efficiency and must be silent (Max installed hardware 1SSD, 6HDD, HD5550, 4 case fans)
  • Motherboard: No idea yet (must have enough Sata connections (8?), case fan headers and be a ATX format) (anyone uses the application speedfan?)
  • CPU: No sure yet, but i'm thinking of the i3-540 at the moment, it is was fast and is low on power consumption.
  • CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken
  • GPU: Sapphire HD5550 Ultimate (existing hardware)
  • RAM: 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
  • HDD boot: Samsung F4 HD322GJ (existing hardware)
  • HDD data mirror: 2x WD20EARS (existing hardware)
  • Case fan: 2x Noctua NF-R8 exhaust fan and 2x Noctua NF-B9 intact fan (existing hardware)
  • Remote: Chinese MCE remote (works fine :D) (existing hardware)
  • Television: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 (full HD) (existing hardware)

Maybe this has a quite high spec HTPC in building but i use the HTPC during the hole day as file storage and backup system.

What i like to hear from the other HTPC fans is what you think of this setup, and of course about the new hardware:
CPU, CPU Cooler, MB, PSU, RAM

Thanks to all that have take time to read my little story and to all that does reply with feedback :D

ejtje

Portal Pro
November 29, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
UPDATE:

After reading a lot of reviews I will go for the Intel i3-2100 processor, The only thing I still have to find is a good motherboard that can be used with speedfan :D I know that I can do the trick with the MSI p67a-gd65 (b3) But for my HTPC I prefer a H67 setting.

Any idea's?

Darkroom

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: New CPU + MB + PSU + RAM

I update to i5-2500K with onboard Grafik - works well in all resolutions 720P and 1080i

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom