New DVB-T card with CI module (1 Viewer)

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hello!
    I currently have a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 USB stick which works just fine, but unfortunally Happauge does not support TechniCrypt CXV CAMs with the WinTV-CI USB, which is the obligatory CAM module for the terrestrial PayTV here in Norway. I have sent a support request, but I do not expect them to add support in the near future, so I am now hunting a new DVB-T card which has a CI module.

Must-haves:
    - CI module with support for TechniCrypt
    - MPEG4 support
    - Must work with MediaPortal (doh)
    - Support for HDTV

Nice to have:
    - Support for DVB-C (if I were to change later)
    - Two tuners
    - External

I have looked at some TechnoTrend cards which seemed quite nice.
    The T1500 should have all the things I must have, and is quite cheap aswell.

By all means, come with suggestions!

Thanks

- Bjarte

cage121

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2005
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Looking for the same thing, (RiksTV) as CD won't give me HDTV. Any good suggestions here?

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have found that the only card available in Norway with support for a CI module that is not Hauppauge is the TerraTec Cinergy H7. This costs 1350NOK for one tuner and one CI module, which is a bit too much for me, especially if I am going to buy two later on.

On dvbshop.net the T1500 with a CI module ends up at 510NOK w/ 19% Tax, and it should end up at around 750NOK included shipping. However, I read here on this forum that the card has problems with tuning: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...1500-3650-a-74142/?highlight=technotrend+1500 so I am not so sure anymore.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Just wanted to leave a mark in the forums to help out others in hunt for the same thing.

The TechnoTrend CT-3650-CI module works with RiksTV. Hence, the other CI modules should work aswell.

Go TechnoTrend!

I also recieved the unit in just 2 business days, which is quite remarkable considering the shop is located in Germany. That is with DHL shipping.

pettergulbra

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hei.

I trie to find out how I can get this to work to.

But I want the ability to make the PC work as a PVR.

But this usb module CT-3650 is just one tuner? I can`t find any info about this....

If I haven`t misunderstood, I will need a card/usb tuner with two tuners with CI and a CAM?

Is this right? Or isn`t it possible to wath a program and record another?

Hope someone can answer.

Kindly

Petter

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi!
    The CT-3650-CI have two tuners, but you can only use one of them at the time. For example, if you want to use the DVB-T module to recieve RiksTV, you cannot use it to recieve DVB-C signals at the same time. If you want PVR functionality, you need to buy a TV-card that either have two tuners, or two seperate TV-cards.

Be aware that the CT-3650 does NOT work in Windows 7 with MediaPortal as the BDA drivers are bugged. It should work in Windows XP or Windows Vista, but I cannot confirm this at the moment.

If you need to use a CAM to decode, you'll most likely have to buy two seperate tv-cards with seperate CI modules. I am using the TechnoTrend T-1500 with a CI module to watch RiksTV here in Norway, and this works fine under Windows XP. I have a CT-3650-CI aswell, so I'll try to set this up later.

pettergulbra

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok.

But it`s not worth it if I have to use two cards (pay for two) on one tv. Just to get the PVR funktionality.

So I`m still searching for the solution that makes me able to use it as an PVR with just one DVB-T card, CI and CAM.

This worked fine on the non digital for ap. 3 years ago.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you want to use DVB-T in Norway (RiksTV), you have to use two seperate cards with two seperate CAMs. There is no way around it yet. RiksTV pairs the program card with the CAM module, so it isn't possible to use softcam, and hence use one CAM for multiple tuners.

Just to clearify: You can use one TV-card to get PVR functionality. You can record TV and you can watch TV, and if the channels are on the same frequency you can even record or watch multiple channels simultaneously. However, if the channels are not on the same frequency, you have to choose between recording a program and watching Live TV. This is the same as using a basic PVR Set-Top box with only one tuner. If you want to be able to watch/record TV on two channels on different frequencies simultaneously, you need two tuners. In most cases a single tuner should be enough.

This was not a problem with analouge TV as no decoding of the channels were required.

Hope this gets rid of any confusion.

pettergulbra

Portal Member
    January 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Then I just have to ask. If I bay a PVR from RiksTV. I can record from one channel, and watch another. On all the channels..
    And you need onle one RiksTV card, why isn`t this possible on a PC?

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    According to this test (Test av Grundig DTR 8860 - God opptaksboks for RiksTV - Lyd og Bilde - klikk.no), you cannot watch and record two different channels at the same time with the Grundig DTR-8860, which is the best Grundig has to offer.

The Intek HDPV-T12CX does have two tuners, which makes it possible to watch and record two different channels at the same time, this does how ever cost 3000NOK. The Sagem DTR 94250 does also have dual tuners and costs 4400NOK. In other words, it is much cheaper to buy two seperate tuners for your PC, and since RiksTV changed their billing plan a week ago, there is no additional subscription cost in having two program cards instead of just one.

The reason as to why you can't use one TV-card with two tuners is pretty simple. There doesn't exist any dual-tuner DVB-T cards with a CI module. Hauppauge does have a dual tuner DVB-T card, and a CI module, but the CI module can only decrypt one channel at the time, so you are back to where we started.

If you buy two Mystique DVB-T tuners with two CI modules, it totals to 155EUR, or just above 1200NOK included shipping from dvbshop.net. You also need to buy two CAM modules, which cost just over 600NOK in RiksTVs webshop. Assuming you get one for free when you subscribe the total is 1800NOK. This is really dirt cheap compared to the 3000NOK you have to pay for the Dual-Tuner PVR boxes. When you also get a far superior PVR solution, it's a nobrainer really.

But hey, it's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom