New fanless (silent) itx HTPC chassis (2 Viewers)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    PLEX has come out with some neat new HTPC chassis using itx mobos. Very compact (read: TINY) and no need or cpu or case fan. They work on heat-pipe cooling - see the cpu heatsinc has copper pipes that run along the physical exterior of the case which uses its chassis (aluminium fins) to deliver the cooling. I think the manufacturer needs to state the maximum ambient room temp the cases will function at (this information is not apparent on their site). Apart from that they look promising for those looking for a completely silent itx solution.

more info here:
    HDPLEX Fanless HTPC Chassis

Oh, by the way I have no affiliation with Plex.com. Just saw a post over at AVS forum and thought Id provide the info here for anyone whos interested :)

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah, that are very fine dvd-player-look htpc cases. And H3.S is a tiny case, but it doesn't support a dvd disk drive.
    The firm HfX is also selling fanless (also heatpipe based) mini-itx case. But that cases supports a slot-in diskdrive (an they are more beautiful ;)).
    HFX - Home

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    The h10 and h5 (two models at the top of the page) both support optical drives

The HFx cases look good - I thought they were all very nice until I spotted the price - $440 USD for the mini and prices go UP from there (!)

eew :)

cilla

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2008
    Lüdinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes, but they're too large. I'm looking for a small mini-itx case (like the H3 case) with optical drive support.

lg cilla

lymzy

October 24, 2009
    yes, but they're too large. I'm looking for a small mini-itx case (like the H3 case) with optical drive support.

lg cilla

There will be an H3.ODD SKU with slim ODD support. The H3 would very likely to have internal PSU different from what is showing.

I was wondering what is the desired price for a H3.ODD with PSU and IR/Remote combo?

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    I'd love a small enclosure, but I need to have my HD 4670 (at least) in there. I want good playback on all fronts (HD and SD)... can that riser card handle a card such as a 4670?

lymzy

October 24, 2009
    I'd love a small enclosure, but I need to have my HD 4670 (at least) in there. I want good playback on all fronts (HD and SD)... can that riser card handle a card such as a 4670?

H5 and H10 series will accommodate riser card. We will offer PCIEx16 riser around $7($15 if flexible).

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Looks cool, sounds cool - in fact - doesn't sound!

BUT! Most motherboards need a venting CPU cooler not only for cooling the processor, but also for cooling surroundings like chipsets north bridge, power regulators and so on. The heatpipe solution offered here doesn't do this job. :(
    So if you like to use this case, you also have to find a mobo which neither needs a venting CPU fan nor a venting system or case cooler. Actually, there aren't any...
    Only thing left: Buy laaarge passive coolers for every chip you see around the cpu socket, or small ones which you try to attach it with some copper rails to the heatsink.

If you don't do this, it will also work... for some minutes to some months...

lymzy

October 24, 2009
    Photos updated with three different system (core i3/E5200/X3 705e)
    Please check site for more.

h101.jpg

H5S.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

ceeriael

December 27, 2009
    but where to buy ??? i cant seem to find any place to buy it, and whats the price ???

Info: I live in Europe/Denmark am i totaly ****ed regarding getting these cases ?

//Ceeriael

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom