New Forum is a big PITA! (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have more problems with the new forum than I have ever had with any other Forum SW:
    1. In most thread lists (Fora, Subfora, Search Results) there is no link which I can activate for the first item in the list. Sometimes there is a link for the first item, but it coincides only with the (invisible) underline under the title. Links to the 2nd and subsequent items appear as expected, covering the entire text of the title.
    2. The first thing I want to do in the forum is check out the new posts in my "watched threads" (previously "subscriptions"). This was always only one click away ("User CP") in the old SW. Sometimes the "watched threads" link isn't available in the new forum, and I have to go via "Alerts".
    3. There is no obvious way to get to the "Watched Threads" without new posts. This was always only 2 clicks away in the old SW ("User CP" + "List subscriptions"). To edit this post, I had to search for posts with my user name as the author, then click on the link for the corresponding forum (because there was no link on the first item on the list), then scroll down to my post and edit it.
    4. When I do get to a watched thread with unread posts, the button "Go to first unread" on the selected thread is unlinked / doesn't work.
    5. The "bread crumb" links don't work.
    6. The backspace key and/or browser "back" button don't work as expected.
    7. Beyond a certain screen width, the titles are misaligned (see attachment).
    8. When posting a new thread, "no prefix" with an down arrow suggesting a dropdown list appears before the title, but the dropdown list doesn't work.
    9. The page buttons at the top of threads also don't work.
    I am using Firefox 10.0.1 running under Windows 7, but had similar problems with the WebOS browser under webOS 2.2.4.

The only improvement I see is that it is easier to add a subscription without e-mail notification.

PLEASE, PLEASE give us back the old Forum SW!!!

P.S. The new Forum SW seems intended to encourage "Conversations" (formerly PMs) as these are now much more prominent and easily accessible than subscriptions. However, this defeats the purpose of a forum, which is to publish and distribute information to a broader audience.

P.P.S. The migration also trashed my avatar and my system spec. grrrrr!

P.P.P.S. This is so frustrating that I won't be participating in the forum until there is some improvement. Since it is such a pain to check messages here, I would appreciate getting a PM or an e-mail from an administrator when that occurs.

Attachments

• NewForum.png
      NewForum.png
      344.6 KB

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Agree, let xenforo for social networking, we need a compact forum. I sound like we use a 7*50 line LCD fo read the forum, need scrolling again and again, click again and again to go somewhere or read something.

PLEASE, PLEASE give us back the old Forum SW!!! (will be the new song ;-)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    7. Beyond a certain screen width, the titles are misaligned (see attachment).
    9. The page buttons at the top of threads also don't work.
    I am using Firefox 10.0.1 running under Windows 7, but had similar problems with the WebOS browser under webOS 2.2.4.

Please try to clear your browser cache and/or press F5.

PS:
    I also get a bit lost on the forum for the first time but when you use it more often you will get used to it more and more. And I think there will be some design changes coming. This is still work in progress..

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    1. Have no idea what you're talking about here. More clear explanation would be better.
    2. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/watched/threads, or hover on your username -> watched threads. Yes, it's that easy.
    3. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/watched/threads/all or hover on your username ->watched threads -> show all watched threads. Also very easy 2 click operation.
    4. Haven't checked yet, all read in my watched ones. But I believe I've clicked it before and it worked. Edit: just checked, working here.
    5. Working here.
    6. Once again, working here.
    7. Nothing like that here (tested on 1680 and 1920)
    8. And once again, working here.
    9. Like a broken record, working here.

Seems like you need to clear the browser cache.

PS> I see nothing wrong with concept of conversations. Use them just like PMs, use them extended or don't use them :)

PPS> Sorry to hear that but it's certainly not something to waste your nerves on ;)

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @rsbrux , as said, nearly all of your issues are browser-cache-related, please clear your cache first (Shift-F5 will do)

watched threads:
    New Forum is a big PITA!  MediaPortal Forum - Google Chrome_2012-02-18_00-14-36.png
    maybe I get you wrong but could it be even more prominent?

.P.S. The migration also trashed my avatar
    Feedback on 1.2 music changes - Seite 19 - MediaPortal Forum - Google Chrome_2012-02-18_00-25-35.png
    I'm sorry but theres no magic function in this forum, it can't import anything thats not existing.
    System Specs are not imported on purpose cause the data will be invalid on the new system (which will be used for bugreports and so demands correct data).
    To make it as easy as possible I've send you the raw data via PC so you can add them quickly by simple c&p

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Just a small note : forums admins worked and are still working very hard on this new forum. So please, respect the work done.

I very understand you can dislike this new forum, but we'll all have to deal with.

The best thing to do is not to complain about everything and yell everywhere, but help us to improve the forum, by posting constructive feedback please.

We are listening to you, I mean good comments are seen, and discussed in private. The forum will continue to be improved in the next days, but not fast if we're loosing time with posts of that kind...

Smeulf.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    rsbrux,

could you also try without your java script blocker ? Or please be sure you allow the forum to execute all scripts if not already done.

Maybe that's a part of your problems...

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Please try to clear your browser cache and/or press F5.
    Thanks for this tip, Holzi! This cured problems 1-9.
    To make it as easy as possible I've send you the raw data via PC so you can add them quickly by simple c&p
    Thanks for the PM, high, it did make things a bit easier, and I have now updated my specs and avatar.
    forums admins worked and are still working very hard on this new forum. So please, respect the work done.
    I very understand you can dislike this new forum, but we'll all have to deal with.
    The best thing to do is not to complain about everything and yell everywhere, but help us to improve the forum, by posting constructive feedback please.
    I guess it's my own fault for not reading this thread through before posting. I just saw this line in the first post:
    if you found a problem in our new forums, then please start an new thread in this section.
    and followed the instruction.
    It may be too late, but my constructive feedback would be a suggestion to include the tip about refreshing the page in the first post.

To give credit where credit is due, I do see where the new forum will be easier for new members to use.
    I have to admit that "Watched Threads" is a lot more intuitive than "User CP"!
    :D to all of the dedicated contributors to MP and to this forum, and please excuse my rant.
    :oops:

P.S. I realize that this is probably too much to ask, but it would have saved me a couple of hours reviewing Watched Threads, if the "last read" flags could have been migrated. It looked as though everything from the last 30 days was marked unread, even though I was less than a week behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom