Ongoing New guy here, almost finish my HTPC but 2 NAGGING problems.. (1 Viewer)

geniv2

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
before I begin. I would like to say THANKS ALOT to everyone that worked on Media Portal it's a GREAT program.

when I first though about doing a HTPC I was worry and annoyed that I have to install WinXP Home edition to the the MCE features.. then I found about Media Portal. It worked great with my current OS (winxp pro sp2) and it was all free and easy to setup.

hardware wise I'm all setup but I just got two remaining software issues left that I want to iron out. Perhaps someone can shed some light into fixing this.

my hardware:
- Dell Vostro 200slim
- WinXP pro sp2
- 3 gig ram
- 1x 1terabyte HD + 1x 320 gig HD
- ATI x1300 videocard
- DVI output to westinghouse 42" HDTV
- StreamZap PC remote control

using: Media protal (latest one) with the Xface skin

Heres my problem:
1 - I set MediaPortal to run at windows startup. problem is that for some reason after it starts up its not "focused" in the foreground (even though the program loaded into full screen). meaning keypress of my remote and keyboard is not being inputed into MP. I have to do a "Alt+tab" to get MP to be in focus so my remote and keyboard controls work. It is annoying as I have to constantly bring the keyboard out.

2 - When MP starts the first video file I play always go to a blank/black fullscreen. I can hear the sound from the video. If I exit the play or stop it and play the video again it would play fine. just the first time a video plays I get a black blank screen...

It's just annoying and also my other family member are not too computer literate and it's kinda confusing to tell them to "alt+tab" or "stop the first video and play again to the the picture". I just want to setup the htpc to start up and be able to play/navigatable like a regular DVD player.

OgdenP

Portal Pro
August 12, 2007
Home Country
I think the focus problem can be fixed by simply enabling "Media Portal always on top" in the General section of MP's configuration. I don't know about your other problem, sorry.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I've heard the other problem can be fixed by trying things like setting the dpi of the desktop resolution to default (is it 120 by default?) in windows display properties.

Haven't played with this too much though.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1 - I set MediaPortal to run at windows startup. problem is that for some reason after it starts up its not "focused" in the foreground (even though the program loaded into full screen). meaning keypress of my remote and keyboard is not being inputed into MP. I have to do a "Alt+tab" to get MP to be in focus so my remote and keyboard controls work. It is annoying as I have to constantly bring the keyboard out.

Have a look at https://www.team-mediaportal.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,35/func,fileinfo/id,338/

geniv2

Portal Member
    December 2, 2007
    THANKS ALOT!

those suggestions fixed my problem.

I got a few questions:
    - How do you set MP so that let say you go into a folder with a bunch of video files. set it to play one after another. (like how it is for music). when I play one file it just stop after its done. I got a folder full full of 10 minute loony toons cartoons that I want to press play and it will play the files one after another (for the kids)

- how do u go about making playlist within MP?
    - anyway to get MP to play Quicktime and FLV files?

2themaxx

Portal Member
    April 17, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    FLV and Quicktime files are easily played with their directshow plugins. Search for Quicktime Alternative, and FLV Directshow plugin in google. I just load up Klite Codec pack and select from the dizzying array of codecs available (usually including QTA and FLV player). You might also search the Mediaportal forums for the out the "online video plugin" which will allow you to play Youtube, metacafe, etc. videos directly from your HTPC, and you can setup RSS feeds (youtube channels).

geniv2

Portal Member
    December 2, 2007
    FLV and Quicktime files are easily played with their directshow plugins. Search for Quicktime Alternative, and FLV Directshow plugin in google. I just load up Klite Codec pack and select from the dizzying array of codecs available (usually including QTA and FLV player). You might also search the Mediaportal forums for the out the "online video plugin" which will allow you to play Youtube, metacafe, etc. videos directly from your HTPC, and you can setup RSS feeds (youtube channels).

I've download and installed the Quicktime Alternative but can't seem to find any free FLV directshow plugins..

anyone can help with links?

UPDATE: never mind about the FLV codec. I didn't know it was called "splitter" I got FLV working fine in MP now.

but Quicktime files it won't play. It would go to a black screen when I try to play a QT file within media portal. but the same file would play fine when I'm outside and double click on it and it plays in media player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom