New Hard Drive Advice. (1 Viewer)

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    WD for examples sells 2.5" HDDs designed for A/V streaming. Dont Know how well it works if you do a lot of other stuff during streaming, too.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Best solution for timeshifting is ramdisk or ssd (be aware of the large amount of data writing and that ssds don't live forever) or a FAST hdd. 5400 or even laptop hdds are NOT perfectly suitable for this. But I don't want to make you nervous. In the most environments it works IF the server only streams.

Eco hdds working fine here, considering usually recording, video editing, torrent downloading, all at the same time without errors, I'm not really sure your statement is accurate, especially after reading the read\write attributes to these drives in various reviews, which gave them a big thumbs up.

Also we would all have been forced to use Raptor drives (10000rpm) lol :D

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    I actually have a 4GB Ramdisk set up, so time shifting will not be taxing the laptop harddrive (though to tell you the truth, I barely watch any live TV anymore).

So ultimately, it will be a case of how many streams this little hard drive will be able to handle - the most it will realisically have to deal with is recording three programmes and streaming two recordings to two clients.

I don't really record in HD - takes too much space, so I reckon it may well be able to deal with it - say, an average of 3.5 MB/s for each stream x 5 = 17.5MB/s. I would imagine that even a 5,400rpm 2.5" hard drive should be able to handle this.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi,

I stand corrected - I tried to record three progammes last night and watch a fourth recorded one, but for some reason the laptop hard drive could not handle it - I got lots of jumps in the recorded files.

I tried recording to my F4 for the first time and it worked flawlessly - even better than the AV-GP drive that I was using before. I was able to fast forward and skip instantly without any lag at all.

So the moral is - 5,400 rpm drives work fantastically as long as they are of the 3.5" variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom