New hardware (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    So I finally decided to upgrade the old HTPC for something a little more wizzer.
    The processor seems fine - as does the memory - might consider a new mainboard but the SSD buzz has me insterested, as does upping the OS to Windows 7.
    then the fates took an interest and nuked the system via a nasty power cut - decision made for me - new mainboard REQUIRED and the SSDs are on offer.

Kerching - There goes some of my hard earned Sterling, filling the coffers of the local 'Temple de Geek' (Please leave all personality outside - and GIRLS are most definitely not allowed ;))

So i spent some time happily (?) wrestling with my case, slowly paring the skin from my hands on the exposed sharp bit and forcing the pins of several headers under my finger nails (oh what was I thinking??).

Some time later I emerge from the kitchen (the only place with light and space for this task of biblical proportions) - bleeding from several new apertures in the old coating, mouth hoarse from the ungodly profanities I uttered (I think I even invented a few new ones - I bet nadswasm isn't in the filth filter ;)) - endowed with a slightly scuffed and profoundly better HTPC.

Boooooooooot ya little ***** < omitted as it's getting too late for some
    Nothing :mad:
    So the equation: more :mad: - more skin + tampering = a booting PC :cool:
    Install Windows 7 SP1 - patience (not got much left at this point) - 'Welcome to Windows'.
    Drivers and Internet provide me with more, unfiltered 'fun' and finally - there it is - that shining paragon of HTPCness.

So the moral of this is; this thing flies now - it boots in about 12 seconds :eek: and everything seems so much quicker :D
    It's just about silent too - this system seems to be EXTREMELY quiet - I struggle to hear it over the ticking of my watch!!

I'm a much happier bunny now, and only have to wait another 3 hours in casualty until the NHS waiting time threshold means someone will move me to a more inconvenient queue to wait... I can bleed smug in the knowledge that I own an SSD based system <- I AM THAT SAD!
    Oh and another 6 hours in the sweat shop to pay for it, <thinks>maybe I could sell the firstborn...</thinks>

Roll on the new release pleeeeeeeeeease!!

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    It's not until times like this that you realise just how much you miss this little baby when it's not around!
    I'm in a self induced state of MP cold turkey!

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom