Ongoing New HP Thin Client Setup (1 Viewer)

ba_baracus

Portal Member
September 17, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just setup mediaportal up on a HP t5720 thin client running XP Embedded SP2. I run TV server on another box and so the thin client feeds directly from that via 100MB Wired Ethernet connection.

Having just set everything up I am not entirely happy as performance is a little sluggish but I cannot really comment too much as I am still in the very early stages of testing. However, I do have some plans afoot to hopefully fix the performance issues.

The great thing about the system is that it is fanless with a 1.0GHz processor so makes no noise at all, uses very little power, is small and not a bad looking case to boot.. It has 512MB of flash ROM for storage which would be great if I could fit all the install software components onto it but with .NET 1.1 SP1, .NET 2.0, directx9, on top of the XP Embedded image I am not left with enough space to install MP so have had to resort to installing MP onto a 1GB external SD card connected via a USB 2.0 adaptor. All media content is stored on network shared drives via the 100MB connection.

My next task is to pull an ethernet connection from my Gigabit Netgear Switch up into the loft and back down the wall in the bedroom so I can give it some normal usage on a 30"LCD.

I will look at increasing RAM to 1GB to improve sluggish performance and also would be interested to hear from anyone with ideas about whether upgrading the NVS280 Qaudro PCI card I have installed would improve things or whether the issue may be with the external SD card I have in place.

I hope that the CPU is not the main problem although I can see from taking a quick look in TM that it seems to get hit at a stable 75% usable when streaming TV from the TV server.

Anyway, post back if you would like anymore info about the setup and I will also provide updates when I get some day to day usage out of the box and hopefully get some performance monitoring data from the system.

One thing that I need is some sort of IR extender to get IR from my hauppauge remote in the badroom onto the hauppauge TV Tuner IR reciever in the other room where the Tv server is situated. The smaller the device the better. If anyone can point me in the right direction then that would be great.

Cheers,

BA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom