New Media Portal Program Poll (1 Viewer)

Does Anyone want to see this program developed futher IE User Configurable

• Total voters

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
Hi,

I have a written a small utility for self use that is capable of performing the following: I use it in conjunction with Powerscheduler.

Start/Stop programs on Win Startup/Shutdown/Restart/Hibernate/Standby

Restart MediaPortal on Resume from Hibernate / Close MP before Hibernate and restart after

Close/Restart MP before scheduled programs (option)

Run Multiple scheduled items (such as EPG Grab) with user defined timeout or scheduled reccording based timeout:
IE run a schedule (backup) with a window of 2 hours defined. if 2 hours are not available before next recroding is deu to start the program aborts schedule (backup) until next avavailable 2 hour window.
Or start scheduled item with options to cancel xxx minutes before next scheduled recording. A typical option for this second mode would be to continually defrag your HDD whilst the computer is in down mode, with the aim to hopefully keep it is a reasonable state of defrag.

There are multiple other items on the drawing board and I would welcome any suggested features. My real question is, there are a few other programs out there that cover this area, do we really need another one or should I leave this specific to my own needs.

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
Paranoid Delusion said:
OK BigBuddha
Sounds very usefull, where can I get it.
8)

It's about 30 days away from being user configurable and another maybe 30 to finish off some of the functions. I just wanna make sure there is interest in it before I put in the work :)

Thanks,

wewe

Portal Pro
August 3, 2005
Herxheim
Home Country
Germany Germany
you wanted to know what is out there that is similar:

jake78 and myself did enhance the Autostart plugin. It now autostarts different MP functions also after resume from standby (not only after MP start).

Additionally I did write a small plugin that leaves fullscreen TV and goes to the home screen when standby is requested. But that one I made only because currently MP has a problem to resume from standby when I go to standby from fullscreen TV.

to your utility: stopping and starting MP around standby sounds good. Currently I am doing that using a couple of different tools like pskill and startonwake. But all of that I only have to do because MP has problems to work as expected. If MP would work correct I never would leave MP.

thanks+regards
WeWe

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
wewe said:
you wanted to know what is out there that is similar:

BigBuddha said:
Thanks for the advice

to your utility: stopping and starting MP around standby sounds good. Currently I am doing that using a couple of different tools like pskill and startonwake. But all of that I only have to do because MP has problems to work as expected. If MP would work correct I never would leave MP.

I'm closing MP by using either TerminaApp(MediaPortalPID,timeout); sometimes that doesn't work though so I use

SendMessage(MediaPortalHWND,WM_CLOSE,NULL,NULL);

as a backup.

I only started doing it because around RC3 MP would sometimes stop responding after resuming from a hibernate for a record ??. This seemeed to fix it.

Thanks Again,

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Not sure if you have considered and implemented it already - but does it prevent powerscheduler from shutting down while it is running a scheduled task? If so, this will be very useful for running things like defrag as you suggested, along with anti-virus scans etc.

Sam

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
samuel337 said:
Not sure if you have considered and implemented it already - but does it prevent powerscheduler from shutting down while it is running a scheduled task? If so, this will be very useful for running things like defrag as you suggested, along with anti-virus scans etc.
Sam

Yes it can do that, checks for available time to run the task, runs if possible, then restarts mediaportal when finished which basically hands back to Powerscheduler when finished

BigBuddha

Portal Pro
August 28, 2005
Subject Closed

Thank you to all who put thier input into this poll.

11 people total interested whilst the ratio was good :), does not make me feel like it will be worth the time spent to get this program into use for general consunmption. I won't be developeing it further beyond my own needs.

Thanks,

BB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom