NEW: MediaInfo DLL which might solve weird delays (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Thanks to the efforts of zenitram (Jerome Martinez) as a MediaInfo developer, a weird delay bug has been solved.

Linked below is a beta version of the MediaInfo DLL which is used by MediaPortal, MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries to obtain information about the mediafiles you have in your collection. Some of those files might have a weird B-frame setup which could lead to long delays before MediaPortal would start the actual playback.

On a test file that I had, the delay went down from 121 seconds to 2 seconds, and this was on a very slow WiFi network, so for most users it will become instant.

MediaPortal v1.1.0 (or v1.1.1+ with release on v1.1.0 this close) will eventually have a permanent solution coded in, but for the time being, or for those users that do not want to redo their entire MyVideos collection, grab the DLL in the link below that will work. Zenitram gave me permission to share this hard-coded DLL of MediaInfo so once again many thanks to him for his efforts in solving this problem.

Simply replace the MediaInfo.DLL that you have in your MediaPortal root folder with this version (verify you have no duplicates in a plugins sub folder), and please report back your experience in this thread.

MediaInfo DLL with fix: https://sourceforge.net/projects/me...TestsOnly_DLL_20100701_0.3forced.zip/download

Enjoy.

mars

Portal Member
    August 1, 2008
    Hi,

had the same problem with delayed playback for most (but not all) movies.
    I tried the workaround, unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
    Still takes up to 2 minutes, until the movie starts.
    Don't know which logfile is relevant, so I added all of them

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi,

had the same problem with delayed playback for most (but not all) movies.
    I tried the workaround, unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
    Still takes up to 2 minutes, until the movie starts.
    Don't know which logfile is relevant, so I added all of them

First make sure all your plugins are updated, for example I see some errors in your infoservice.log file and you are running an older version. They have v1.6 out now @ InfoService so update and also make sure it is configured properly so that all the errors are gone from the infoservice.log file.

I see you also got other plugins running that are doing additional monitoring, such as the MusicShareWatcher plugin. There could be a conflict at some level, you might want to consider disabling as many plugins as possible and see if problem goes away then. Then re-enable the plugins one at a time, till problem comes back so you can tell us which one was the culprit.

If the problem is related to MediaInfo, you should be able to download the GUI application and drag and drop the same video file from your share onto it. That's how I was able to repeat the problem on my system and help the MediaInfo developer figure out what was causing it. If you do not get the same 60sec+ delay in MediaInfo GUI (with using the hard-coded 0.3 DLL) as you do in MediaPortal, then the problem is related to some other conflict such as the plugins mentioned earlier.

The more time you are willing to spend trying different combinations to pin-point the exact cause, the easier it will be for the developers to find a solution for your delay and fix it for everybody :)

Buzzie

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank You RoChess and ofcourse Zenitram for this solution.

I will try this out tonight at home.

:D

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This fix worked for me - I wish I'd found it sooner - I spent 2 weeks battling with my new HTPC setup thinking I had a codec problem but after reading this thread I realised the problem could lay with MovingPictures (and then the MediaInfo.DLL file).

The problem I had was that after installing MovingPictures (latest version) I'd go to watch a file via MovingPics and MP would freeze (maybe if I was as patient as some others here are it might have played but if nothing has happened within 60 seconds the system is frozen as far as I'm concerned). I would have to kill MediaPortal, but when I opened it again no video files would play - the only video I could get to play was Live TV :mad:

After having the same issue last night (after re-installing MovingPictures) I come across this thread so I disabled MovingPics and the problem was gone - re-enabled and it was back again - dropped the new MediaInfo.DLL file in and everything works, including MovingPics :D

nick76

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hello all,
    I tried to install the dll on my HTPC but doesn't work. loading the list of movies will take more than a minute, also filtering it take a lot of time. I'll try this evening with a wired connection.

Nick

Buzzie

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hey guys,

Is it me or is the latest mediainfo still buggy?
    I am running the latest versions of MediaPortal, Mediainfo, Tv Series and Moving Pictures and i had a harddrive full with movies that i wanted to add but i got the annoying hangup again while adding the movies to my database.

This problem also involves tv series not starting....or taking a VERY long time.
    If i turn off the option to automatically retrieve mediainfo in moving pictures settings tab, then importing, playing movies and playing tv series works fine again.

am i the only one??

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Is this problem already solved or am I the only one still having it?

note: I exchanged the MediaINFO.dll file - no luck.

Buzzie

Portal Pro
    May 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Nope im still having the same problem....also with patched dll file.

i have turned it off for now.....cant wait for the MP 1.1.1 release end of this month

tinyboy

Portal Member
    November 30, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    same here i have tried updating the mediainfo.dll too and it was of no help , long wait till initial movie plays so I too have the plugin disabled, too bad great plugin. any other ideas to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom