New Mini-ITX HTPC Build - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Ongoing HTPC Projects' started by armyofme, January 28, 2010.

1. armyofme

armyofme Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm planning on building a mini-itx dedicated HTPC system but I'm seeking advice on whether people think my plan is possible and would appreciate views and opinions.

I have done a bit reading on the subject and understand there are a number of factors I need to consider. The situation is I would prefer to have one PC - both server and client rather than two separate machines. I don't want the PC for gaming so it would not need to be too high end but I would like to be able to play HD tv/films, encode movies, etc.

I have been looking at the Zotac Ion motherboards and recognise I have two choices: Dual Atom or Core2Duo. Dual atom would be great as this would be less power hungry, possiblity of passive cooling so less noise and cheaper. The downside to this though I guess is that the system would be limited in the tasks it could complete (video encoding
    for example?) On the other hand Core2Duo might be able to handle more multi-tasking and more demanding jobs but need fans for greater cooling therefore a noisier system, be more power hungry and therefore need a more powerful psu (most itx cases/boards come with about 60W!)

The choice of motherboard and case I guess are going to be key to the success of this build. I've recently purchased a low profile dual dvb-s2 card (Mystique SaTiX-S2 Dual, 2xDVB-S2 HDTV/MPEG4/H.264 - DVBSHOP - Technotrend,Mystique,TeVii,Kathrein,Shop,DVB-S,DVB-C,DVB-T,HDTV,H.264,DVB-S2) and would like to use this in a mini-itx system so the board would need a pcie x1 bus and I know some of the Zotac boards have this. I would like the case to be small, hence the low profile tv card.

What do people think / recommend? Is it possible to have such a small computer and ask so much of it?!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!