Ongoing New mini-itx HTPC in the works (1 Viewer)

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Building another htpc to add to the collection and decided to go mini-itx.

I was first thinking about using the atom/ion mobos but I read alot of reviews and decided its not really enuf for me so this is what I have so far.

Case: Winsis Wi-02 w/200W Power Supply
    Newegg.com - Winsis Wi-02 Black SGCC / ABS Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 200W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Motherboard: MINIX™ 780G-SP128MB
    J&W Technology Limited

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM160HI 160GB 5400 RPM
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M Series HM160HI 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 1.5Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc Black 8X DVD-ROM SATA Slim Combo
    Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 8X DVD-ROM 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW 24X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA Slim Combo - CD / DVD Burners

Then I am ordering this stuff now

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz
    Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Ram: AllComponents 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800
    Newegg.com - AllComponents 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model AC2/SO800X64/4096-KIT - Laptop Memory

I am also wanting to change the cpu cooler to something that I can have a slower/quieter fan on. Right now all I will have in the case for fans is a 60mm Silenx intake fan and the psu fan which is very quiet.

So for the cpu cooler I was thinking about something like this.

Dynatron Corporation - the leading manufacturer of CPU cooling products.

^^ That with a 120mm Silenx fan mounted to the top of the case will blow air on the entire motherboard and the 60mm fan blowing in from the side with the psu fan directly accross from the 60mm fan pulling the hot air out and exhausting it out the back.

As you can see using another 120mm fan I had laying around the vent in the top of the case is the perfect size for a 120mm fan but the holes dont line up but I am using some rubber fan mounts so it dont really need to line up perfect.

I am also going to try to remove the front audio ports and put the IR eye in one of the holes from them so I dont have the ir receiver outside the case.

Everything will be a tight fit but I think it will work out perfect in the end.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    looks like a nice setup.

The motherboard seems just what i am looking for when i build my next client.

Please keep us updated of assembly and how it works when you have it.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Well I got everything together and Win7 installed along with Mediaportal and IR Server.

Everything was simple with Win7, I didnt even need to install any drivers for the mobo.
    Mediaportal went fine as usual, had to get the Win7 remote .dll for here to make the mce remote work.

Temps are great on the mobo also I had a 15Mbps encode of Transformers playing and never went above 31C and cpu usage was steady at 50%, not bad for that video file.

I didnt get the Copper cpu cooler in yet so I installed the stock cooler for now to get everything installed, and it seems to do pretty good.

Heres some completed pics

Kill-a-watt tests

Idle 85w

Playing HD Movie ( Transformers 15Mbps encode) 115w

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom