New MP Client machine required (can decode 1080i in hardware) (1 Viewer)

Benoire

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 17, 2012
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a distributed TV setup in my house. I've got my server / client setup in the lounge but need something for the bedroom. The system is currently using DVB/S2 cards to get HD TV (1080i).

What I am after is the cheapest bit of pre-made hardware, that is small that can display, via HDMI, 1080i live HD TV. I'm assuming one of the new fusion setups might be ok, however everyone talks about 1080p for their abilities and not 1080i. My server does the streaming and storage, all I need this client to do is run Windows 7, MediaPortal and play 1080i HDTV.

Any suggestions?

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am also interested in an off the shelf solution for a kids room. Any recommendations would be great.

Goggelicious

Portal Member
    July 9, 2012
    Landvetter
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    How ´bout a WindBox?!?

I´ve recently added one of those to my oldest son´s room and he´s soo happy! The only thing to consider, is that depite the fact that this box is very little, is also quite noisy...:(

I´m not 100% done with all the settings/setup of MP, but one reflection is that when I stream movies 560p or better, the fan goes crazy and the temps can reach up to 75 degrees celsius while LiveTV is all good and the fans/noise quite decent.

According to the specs it can decode 1080p but MSI says nothing about the dB levels so either I´m using the wrong codec(s) or we´ll just have to settle with the noise and pump up the volume when viewing... :cool:

Pros:
    Cheap
    Very small
    Stylish
    Decent h/w
    Low power consumption

Cons:
    So far the noise levels
    Crappy wireless-N performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom