New revolutionary EPG better than TiVo ??? (1 Viewer)

schlurch

Portal Member
May 20, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Aprico and Axel Springer want to revolutionise the EPG-market in Europe
with their tool called "My Personal TV Digital" before TiVo hits Europe in 2009.
Watch a Video to see how it works.

It will be available for VistaMC this November and i would like to see it
in MediaPortal, too.

What do you think?

I read about it in German technology magazine "c't" (24/2008, p. 238).

Happy to read your feedback on this.

Further link: spiegel.de :)sorry:, just in german)

ps: i posted this already in the EPG section but i think it'll get more attention in here.
sorry for double-posting.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    After watching the 9 minute video, the way I see it, the only difference from MediaPortal is IMHO that the Aprico-system "learns" what shows you like and don't like. It may be a bit more sperated in MP, but what the guy in the video calls "personal channels" is what i call groups or playlists.

All the buzzwords like timeshift and PVR is in the video, but that is allready in MP. You can also ask MP to record a specific show every time it airs, just like the Aprico-thingy.

The video also mentions "videos from the internet". Now, this being Philips, I guess that would mean 2-3 different content-providers, and not "the whole internet" as I would like it to be.

I also spot a big possibility that this product will target only the 3-4 largest consumermarkets in TV/Video, so small countries like Denmark (where I live) will probably not be able to use this system.

So...bottom line; where is the "revolution" in the product?

Don't get me wrong, this may be a terrific plugin for some of you, but probably not for me :)

schlurch

Portal Member
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    more info on aprico EPG

thanks for your reply pilehave!

well, i think the video is targeted on users with less know-how in IT
    wherefore i think the technical background info is little for MP users.

as i understand the article in "c't" correctly they mean with "videos from the internet"
    the whole internet like videopodcasts and catch-up TV.

aprico claims that the system works intelligent and offers you broadcasts that you
    are really interested in after it has learned form you. this includes also advertisement:
    you can mark ads as unwanted e.g. laundry detergent and you won't get those
    kind of ads anymore. on the other hand if you like ads for cars or beer they will be
    shown. we have to see if this really is working.

interesting background info for me is that the content provider axel springer has signed
    a contract with aprico for 20(!) years and that they invested an amount of several million €.
    i expect that there must be an outcome of QUALITY-EPG-data. again, we have to see.

i cannot answer you concern if denmark is targeted with this system but i guess
    "yes" in the future if the system gains success in germany, GB and France for example.

schlurch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom