[Approved] - New Slovenian translations

Discussion in 'Archive' started by velis, January 9, 2010.

1. velis
    • Premium Supporter

velis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    EDIT: Updated translations (corrected errors) as Vasko pointed out
    EDIT 2: Updated again - Shortened a few strings, increased chars count to 512 to display all regional characters.

I took a few hours and translated MP, hopefully according to guidelines.
    Language
    Sl - Slovenian (Slovenia)

Attached rar contains translations for MP and setup.

OK, this was for the more constructive part.

Quite frankly, I'm afraid to see the results, especially because of point 1 below. Is it possible to check the translations before they are deployed?

Following are my observations in regard to translation and some questions on top of that:
    Please take this as good intentioned critique. I'm more than willing to help resolve these issues (both in concept or in programming actual code)

1. It's insanely hard to translate blindly. Language semantics, congugation, etc. rules for English are completely different to Slovenian or German or Italian.
    Suggestion: Is it possible to discuss translation tool somewhere so that it might be improved in the future? In regard to this particular problem, I would suggest screenshots / descriptions in the translator tool itself.

2. There are numerous discrepancies in strings (no rules for uniformity). For example, at beginning of file "Next" button text is "Next", at the end it's "> Next".

3. There are strings that assume fixed language semantics.
    Examples: strings 2130, 2131 (Block x of y- presumably) or 3021, 3022 (Part x of y - presumably)

4. What's up with strings 1069 - 1089 (resolutions, FPS and Kbps with different numbers). Can't those just be {0} x {1}, {0} FPS, {0} Kbps

5. There are also function call discrepancies, though only few: most of strings have placeholders formed as {number}.
    Some though have %d, %s (sprintf semantics). Also some strings contain \n or \r control characters (sprintf again) while most just exploit the fact that string can be multiline (also in translation editor)

6. I was a bit miffed at strings 3001 - 3004 (Hour, Hours, Minute, Minutes...). Slovenian language also has a numerator for 2 items and a special case for 3 and 4 items (1 ura, 2 uri, 3 - 4 ure, 5 ur, 6 ur, etc.). This kind of numeration also repeats every 100 (101 ura, 102 uri, etc.) Well, most of the strings in other places don't even take into account that only 1 item might be returned and only contain plural or singular anyway.

7. While translating, I also ran into one thing that's pretty annoying in real life usage:
    Strings 2550, 2551 (Do you really want to STOP live TV ? (timeshift buffer will be lost)
    Why does this even have to show up when I press "B" during LiveTV playback? It doesn't for any other type of playback. And so what if timeshift buffer gets lost? It's only temporarily there to help with TV watching anyway and gets deleted at any given time...

8. I have found strings in the language tool that I haven't found a corresponding functionality for. I admit I haven't even searched much for them because I've been busy setting the whole thing up lately, but I think at least some of these are discontinued. I'd appreciate if somebody explained status of following items:
    MSN Messenger
    Cover art Grabber
    Trailers
    Recipes
    Video Editor
    Mail
    Last.FM
    DVD Burner
    Wikipedia
    Setup wizard

9. Following is also a list of all expressions that should only have one ID, but instead has two or more (one string, but divided in two IDs):
    999-1003
    200001, 200002
    200011 - 200013

I hope I got all of them.

Attached Files:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. VASkO

VASkO Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Thanks for this, started it a while back by myself but didn't have the will/time to do the whole translation. Good job :)
    But, there's an error at line 676 in your translation (""). Please fix and reupload if you wish. Also prefixes (Moj, Moje, Moja, Moji) should be folowed by a space character. Using it now and will install it to my parents HTPC too.

Lep pozdrav :)

4. mat123

mat123 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Show System Specs
    Really great, thanks!

It was time, that someone translates the whole thing. I translated just the necesaary things for myself
    and same as VASkO didn't have the will to translate everything.

I'm sure many users, that don't understand english, will be happy to use MP now.

LP

5. VASkO

VASkO Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    hey velis, the characters value should be 383, that's the max unicode value for all our letters to display properly. See for yourself for example, with 255 you don't get strings with letters "ČŠŽ čšž" displayed at all. Change the value to 383 and they are displayed fine. Fix and reupload :)

6. velis
    • Premium Supporter

velis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Yes, I noticed this.
    I fixed some strings because they were too long, but I can't make "Se čuti kot" in weather to display at all, even when I shorten it to "Občutek", which is shorter than "Feels like".

But I don't understand what you mean by changing char codes.
    Are you saying I should use ANSI mapping?
    What 383 code???
    I don't get this at all.

7. VASkO

VASkO Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    characters="383" instead of characters="255" in the XML file. I found out this solution to the not-displayed strings by following this thread and I don't know, if the characters setting is documented somewhere or not.

edit: I looked at the Croatian translation. They removed all "ž" letters, that causes the strings with them not to appear if characters="255". With at least =383, you can leave the letter "ž" in translated strings.

8. velis
    • Premium Supporter

velis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    OK, fixed that.
    Now all characters display.
    In increased character count to 512 so that all reginal characters may play (had some issuse with my MP3s and special chars (not slovenian) in them)

9. SubOrbit

SubOrbit New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Hi all! :)

Anyone translating Moving pictures and TVSeries?
    If there is interest, I can translate them in the coming week

10. velis
    • Premium Supporter

velis MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I am definitely interested in moving pictures translation.
    Though I'm still not sure if I like the original My Movies plugin or Moving Pictures.
    I guess each of them has it's own merits.

11. SubOrbit

SubOrbit New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Slovenia Slovenia
    There you go, Slovenian translation of Moving Pictures.
    Place the file in x:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\language\MovingPictures\ (win7/vista, dont know what the path is if using winxp)

Everyone is welcome to correct me if i overdid it somewhere :)

TV-Series follows shortly...

Attached Files:

• sl.xml
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Uploaded:
      January 22, 2010
      Views:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!