new SVN-Snapshot-Installer (4 Viewers)

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since the "stable patch" installer seems to work fine, its time to port this also to the daily snapshots on
    http://svn.team-mediaportal.com.

The use should be nearly self explaining, it just adds the updated files to your MP-directory, creates a backup if you want and choose the right startx.bat to register updated files (so this cant be "forgotten" anymore which cause some problems in the past).

Please remember that these snaps are always bloody untested and may break your MP-installation so use the backup option from time to time.

If you encounter any errors (on the installer, not on the snapshot) or have suggestions please post them in this thread or contact me via IRC. An uninstaller is planed for the next days/weeks/years that restores your backup automatically but first lets try if the basics work as they should.

thanks to infinityloop for testing and ideas ;)

fathead

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2005
    Just had to post to say well done everyone involved - this adds so much to the usability of media portal.

I was always hopeful for a self installing zip file, but this is just the ticket. If a similar method can be added to the skin packages whilst we wait for Version 0.3 & the new skin engine that would be superb.

Again well done everyone.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Dev's, I'm impressed. Installing a SVN was never this easy. Well done and many thanks.

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I agree. Now I don't have to unrar, copy and paste...

The only thing I would change is the time out before installing. A little annoying, but I know why it is there.

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great work!

SVN-installer is working really fine and it's sooo comfortable... :)

Regards
    Ralph

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Hey, just wanted to say the svn-installer is really great and professional.

One thing could be improved: If you do a backup, you can choose a folder. I chose a rather top-level folder full with files and (sub-)folders and detected afterwards, that all the mp-files were in this (main) folder seperately. This might happen to other people, too.

So it may be be a good idea to put all files of the backup in a directory "mediaportal backup" (or the like) under the chosen destination.

tomtom

Pingus

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi!

I must say the installer is great for patching an installed Mediaportal installation - But I sometimes extracs the SVN builds on a machine not having MediaPortal Installed to read the SVN-Changelog and so.

Is it not possible to specify a command parameter to EXTRACT the files since i don't wan't the scripts registering a lot of dll's on a machine not having MediaPortal installed ??

(a bit like Micro$oft service-packs [.... -x location] )

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    If all you wanted was a change log (in general) you can view it HERE.

EDITED BY MPOD: corrected URL (pointed to the wrong site)

wertzui

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2005
    you can extract the installer using 7zip.
    then you can extract the package in there and view all the files including the changelog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom