New to Mediaportal and Moving Pictures, Can't play ISO? (1 Viewer)

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
July 4, 2010
My Quest for a decent media center continues.

So far I have tried
Windows 7 Media Center - boring interface, has problems playing videos encoded using DTS since I am not using SPDIF connection, I get no sound.
Sage TV - works nice but I like the moving pictures and xbmc interfaces better
XBMC - Problems with my Windows Remote, have to use a keyboard to fully navigate around.
Mediaportal - Seems like I need to use plugins to get the UI that I am after, and having some problems probably dealing with configuration.

I have yet to find the perfect Media Center.

I tried searching but I can not find the answer to these questions.
1) I can not seem to play ISO files. I have added the extension and even tried using an external player. In media portal -> videos I can see the file but nothing happens when I open it up. In moving pictures I get an error that it can not mount the ISO image. XBMC has no problems opening ISO images.

2) I keep getting a message that I have lost connection to the TV tuner. I setup mediaportal as a client but have not yet looked into setting up the server on my WHS machine. I just want to disable TV completely so I stop getting the error message?

Thanks in advance.

jasonmorriso

Portal Pro
April 19, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
1: Install the deamon tools
2: Install MP saying "No TV" as the installation option.

3: done ;-)

Not quite.

In the config, under General, he also needs to set up the "Virtual Drive" portion, turning on Automount, pointing to the location of 'Daemon.exe' and specifying the drive letter of the virtual drive.

Justintoxicated

Portal Member
July 4, 2010
1: Install the deamon tools
2: Install MP saying "No TV" as the installation option.

3: done ;-)

I already have deamon tools pro installed so I went in and turned on auto-mount. But Media Portal is still giving me the same error message about not being able to mount the image. "Sorry, failed mounting DVD image."
EDIT: figured it out, the file name was incorrect. I am used to using Daemon Tools Lite, but I picked up pro when they were offering it for free. With pro you have to use the Daemon tools DTAgent.exe file.

Do I need to re-install MP to turn off the TV prompting thing? I do plan on adding a network tuner later (I have a HDHD) but I just moved into this place and I need to run new cables and/or replace my existing roof mounted antenna. (I don't know what I am doing when it comes to replacing giant antennas). Is there a way I can disable the TV so that I stop getting the error message for now, then re-enabled it later without re-installing the entire app? I already spent a bunch of time on configuration (pretty much the the last 2 days), will I lose all the configuration and plug-ins configuration?

Also, I have to research more but I wanted to put the server app on my WHS server? Does media portal have a WHS plugin or should I stop now and switch to yet another media player that will work better for me. I will need the tuner to be managed by the server, even though all computers will have access to it, this is the only way to prevent stealing on of the tuners when watching from an alternate location.

Also since the MovingPictures plugin does not allow for organization using folders as does Sage and WMC and XBMC what would be a good way to keep non TV series type movies such that I can still get the fan art and DVD covers. For example I have some comedy series that have a number of 1 hour episodes (But it's not really a TV series either). I have installed MP-TV Series plugin but they do not really fit in there either.

Right now I'm torn between XBMC and Media Portal. Media Portal has a a lot more configuration but I do like the way it handles some things better and moving pictures UI is the best. However, XBMC seems much faster, but since my microsoft remote does not work with it out of the box and requires hacking my registry, that was a deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom