Newbie Dumb Question (1 Viewer)

marcus d

Portal Pro
October 13, 2007
Oxford(ish)
Home Country
England England
Hi All

Just came over to Media Portal from the Darkside (MCE) and love it - a far better product.

I have been looking through the forms and am keen to try the new Xface skin but have a few q's :-

I have donloaded it - whats the best way to install
What the hell is SVN?
How do I know I have the correct SVN ?
If I dont how do I change it ?

ANy tips for the install of thye skin greatly appreciated.

I have read the entire post on the skin but it all seems a bit too advanced for me

Thanks

Marcus
:confused:

Exco

Portal Member
September 24, 2007
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Unpack the skin using Winzip or Winrar (unless the skin is an installer file) to the Media portal skin folder, in my case C:\Program files\MediaPortal\Skin , then choose the skin in Media Portal Configuration

marcus d

Portal Pro
October 13, 2007
Oxford(ish)
Home Country
England England
Thanks for the help guys.

With regard to the svn, do I have to download and install all that have been issued since my version of MP was released or will the latest one suffice ?????

Cheers

Marcus

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
You only have to take the latest one, that should include other fixes from previous daily builds.

Remember that the SVN's are largely untested and so can be less stable than the release version. Make sure you back up your existing configuration in case something goes wrong (Note: if during the install you can not select the backup option try with the spacebar that should select the checkbox).

Also if you are on Vista, make sure that you backup a file called MediaPortalDirs.xml from current configuration as I think the one in the SVN is still wrong and then you get strangfe effects.

Last point, make sure that you delete the cache before running the first time with the new SW.

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
I use Vista, but as I remember it is directly under MediaPortal in a directory named cache. It does what you would expect and creates a cached version of the skins you use and therefore if you modify the skin in anyway or the underlying version of MP then you are always best to delete the cache and let it recreate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom