Newbie motherboard question. (1 Viewer)

rede96

Portal Member
January 6, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sorry for the newbie question! but...

I have an old Epox EP-4G4AE P4 motherboard (Intel i845G + ICH4 chipset, ATX size, Operating at 1.4~2.4 GHz) which I would like to use for a HTPC build.

I have tried it with MP 0.2.3.0, onboard graphics, 1GB RAM and a TT C1500 budget card but it maxed out the CPU and the picture was choppy. I can get other DVB software to work ok with it, just not MP.

With a good graphics card, would this board be ok to use with Mediaportal in a HTPC setup?

TIA.
Red

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    With a good graphics card, would this board be ok to use with Mediaportal in a HTPC setup

Yes you can pick up a half decent graphics card for around the £50 mark on ebuyer\overclockers.

ps your motherboard only supports 4x agp, so do not go overboard on card, looks like innovision is one of the cheapest agp cards atm

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i would buy a new motherboard with an onboard graphic sollution. afaik you cant put a agp 8x card in a 4x slot. even if you can there is a good chance that you fry either the card or the motherboard due to the diffrent power and voltage.

rede96

Portal Member
    January 6, 2007
    Home Country
    afaik you cant put a agp 8x card in a 4x slot

I'm confused :confused:
    I have found lots of info that says that an AGP 8x will work in a 4x slot. I have found some info that says that it doesn't work in some individual cases, but for the most part it seems 8x is backward compatible with 4x, although it will only run at 4x.

rede96

Portal Member
    January 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Looks like SwingSultan was correct. I bought a sapphire HD 2400 pro 8x card and I can't get it to install at all!

When I install the card and start the pc, my sysyem (windows XP) just hangs every time it starts. I can go into safe mode and it finds new hardware and installs the display driver but when I try and install the ATI drivers I keep getting an error message that says 'no compatible drivers with this hardware...'

And no matter what I do, I can't boot into XP, I have to go into safe mode.

Looks like a new motherboard!

Oh Well!:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom