Newbie Needs to Know about Benefits (1 Viewer)

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
November 21, 2006
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I actually started watching the TV Server tutorials, and am at the 3rd one now.

But I don't understand what TV Server gives in functionality over what is bundled into MP.

Right now I use MP for playing videos only. I am about to get a Hauppage 150 (now a HVR 1600 I understand) and thought I could just use the IR Blaster with it to watch TV and record shows and etc. What does TV server give over and above this, aside from the ability to record for TV clients?

Thanks, and please excuse my newbie-ness, I am trying to learn.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i reckon the main advantage is you have all your recordings scheduled on teh server, if the clients are off it still records, then any of the clients can watch the recordings, also you can have all teh hdd space in one location along with the tuner cards, isntead of having a hdd and a tuner in each client

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
E.g. MP can stay closed while the server is recording your stuff in the background as a recording slave while you're working on your PC and are doing other stuff.

Also, some like the fact that it's recording using TS streams, not DVR-MS containers. (Can be a bit more handier when doing postproduction on your recordings.)

Another thing: When channels are on the same mux, you can record one channel and watch another one from that mux - WITH ONE SINGLE TUNER. (using DVB) https://www.team-mediaportal.com/ne..._multiple_channels_with_a_single_tv_card.html

Some more hardware CAMs for encrypted channels are supported or planned to be supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom