Newbie Problem with Installation (1 Viewer)

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
November 21, 2006
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I have done so many un/installs that I don't remember what the proper procedure is. Could someone re-clue a newbie?

I have a Hauppage '1600. I grabbed the latest Hauppage (34b) driver set and the latest MP RC.

Should I just install MP, part of the Hauppage stuff, all of the Hauppage stuff and then all of MP, or what?

I wish there was a simple HOWTO for this, since I did it once but now that I've reloaded my PC I'm cluless again.

Thanks!

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Whenever I reinstall, I just install the hauppauge driver set, but not the wintv application, and the ir32 bit for my remote (I have Nova-T 500). Shouldn't matter if you do install wintv anyway.

I check its showing up correctly in device manager, then I install MP. (Also I'd get any other drivers for things installed before installing MP.)

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
    November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Fresh (re) Install

My machine is XP Pro SP2 fully Windows-updated.
    have uninstalled MP and my old Hauppage stuff. I am looking at the install for Hauppage set v34B.

I have unchecked
    [ ] Install Hauppage WinTV Application
    [ ] Install the Happage WinTV Scheduler
    [ ] Install MPEG SW Decoders

I have checked
    [x] Install WinTV Channel Manager (not uncheckable)
    [x] Install Windows XP - Hotfix - KB896626
    [x] Install WinTV TVServices (not uncheckable)
    [x] Install the Hauppage WinTV IR Remote Control Application
    [x] Install the Haippage winTV IR Blaster Application

Does that make sense? I seem to remember there being something from Hauppage that would get in the way of MP using the remote and TV. Hmm...

Thanks for reply.

Sh4nn0w

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 14, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No problem.

I've finally found where I saved the drivers. Last version I downloaded was 3.4a for mine, but assume the directory structure will be the same as 3.4b.

What I did last time was just install the HcwDriverInstall.exe (which just installs the drivers) and then went to the IR32 directory and just installed IR32.exe (I don't use the blaster bit), rebooted and that meant I didn't end up with any wintv crap.

I usually use autopatcher for installing windows updates after a reinstall if you haven't come across it.

EDIT: Just read you've already updated it.

SteveC-MM

Portal Member
    November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    The plot thickens.

I could not get MP to show any TV channels. So I went ahead with a full installation of the Hauppage stuff. The Hauppage WinTV apps work fine. I went into the standalone MP Setup program, it found my card and Channel 4 analog/NTSC. I am going to use the IR blaster to change channels with my settop. Anyway, I launch MP and it is very choppy like I don't have enough CPU or RAM (I do, machine is dedicated for MP and 512mb RAM 2.5GHz). I get nothing in "My TV". I then decided to try the Setup Wizard from within the main MP app, when it gets to the part where it auto-detects TV channels, MP quits/crashes to the "Send this error to Microsoft" item.

What could be wrong?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom