Newbie question - playing back mpeg while it's still being written to (1 Viewer)

renzz

Portal Member
September 12, 2007
Hi,

I'm building a new HTPC and was looking for some decent Media Centre software when someone recommended MediaPortal to me.

So far I'm very impressed and have only really scratched the surface. However, I have one question - is it possible to play back an MPG2 file while it is currently being recorded to (I use Web Scheduler at the moment)? I know that GBPVR can do this (and I think TVedia), but just trying it in MediaPortal and it doesn't do anything (no failure, but just doesn't open the file, presumably because it thinks it's locked). For me this is a great facility, so that you can start watching a recording without having to wait for it to finish.

Thanks in advance.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

yes, this should work. How do you try to play it back?

There are two ways to watch the ongoing recording:
    1) Open TV and just zap to the channel where you are recording and rewind back to the beginning
    2) Open TV, goto scheduled recordings (timer), select the entry of the ongoing recording and choose "play from the beginning"

HTH,
    Flip.

renzz

Portal Member
    September 12, 2007
    Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I'm not recording it from within MediaPortal - Webscheduler is doing it (an external app). So I'm going to My Videos, and just selecting the file there. So my question becomes, can Mediaportal playback files that are being written to by external applications?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

well, Webscheduler is no recording engine. Which recording engine do you use?
    And if its not the one from MP, why not? ;)
    If its an external app like GBPVR I fear it can't be done, unless this app does not allow external access to its own file....

Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom