NFI what I'm doing :-( (1 Viewer)

mattaus

Portal Member
August 12, 2008
Home Country
Right, where to begin?

Firstly I'm using RC2, purely because RC3 won't work on my system due to WMP 11 been needed and me not wanting it. Also, apologies if this belongs elsewhere - I really could not figure out if this belonged in the normal area or the Tv area or what.

Anyway, I'm trying to set up my TV card so that in media protal and can simply go 'My TV' and well, watch TV! lol.

The card is a Compro Videomate T750, I've done some looking around and I have added some stuff to the CaptureCardDefinitions xml file in order for MP to see the card itself.

However here is where my obvious lack of knowledge becomes apparent. I click on 'MY TV' and it asks me to specify the Host name of the master TV service....I have no idea what it's on about. So I just hit enter and left what was there (the PC"s network name) and it comes up with a message box that says it was unable to connect to the TV Server or the TV Database. Naturally I assume this has something to do with the TV-Server Configuration executable that popped up when I installed MP. I have run this configuration but when I hit Test it decides I don't have the right password or the correct username but frankly I never had one to start with!

Clearly I am completely lost and have no idea what I'm doing. I have done a search around the forums and can't seem to find anything dumbed down or specific enough to fix my problem. At the moment I am not overly concerned with recording TV, I just want to be able to watch it without having to leave MP.

If someone could point me to a post that would solve my problem, or just give me a quick what's what I'd be greatly appreciative.

Regards,

Matt.

The Mixer

Portal Member
July 6, 2008
You should be able to find posts that contains the password for TV-server, as it has been posted many times.
Anyway, the password for TV-server is Mediaportal (can't remember if it's with a capital P tho).
When you have tested the connection and saved the info, you'll have to scan your TV-card for channels and you'll be able to use My TV.

mattaus

Portal Member
August 12, 2008
Home Country
Oh, see I didn't even realise that it had a default password setup. I just thought I was being an idiot lol.

I'll try that out and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

EDIT: I tried that and it seems to work fine until it asks me if I want to start the TvService. I click yes and a moment later an error pops up and says that the TvService was not started. I click OK and the config window appears. I can move it around but as soon as I select an option the error pops up again and this time WONT go away. if I click OK or try to clsoe the window the error pops up straight away again. The only way to actaully exit it is to kill the process in task manager.

What's going on? I don't actually have a clue as to what is happening or how this TvService works. I can now get into the MY TV service in MP but I cannot see any options to scan for TV channels or anything. I figure you do that in the configuration utility but obviously I am unable to get to it yet.

Help?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    hi Matt,
    it sounds like something is worng with your installation. the best thing to do is to post the logs here, along with system specs. The MPTesttool is located in MP configuration (from memory) so that should help you collect everything.

Also, if you are using the TV Server architecture, tehn there is no need for editing the capturecarddefinitions file. that was only for the built in TV engine, but doesn't hurt if you have modified it.

Cheers,
    Marcus.

canarygsr

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    All the channels are scanned in TVService, its a service that runs all the time even when your not using MediaPortal so it can record programs whenever required.
    As for your error Have you changed the computer name ar anything, I dont know anything about databases except for the fact that when I play around they never work again and I can't often fix them without a clean install. But somebody on here should be able to help you.

If all else fails try the manual :)

mattaus

Portal Member
    August 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Ok, funnily enough I stumbled across the TV Server manual about 30mins ago and decided to stop the TV Server Service in windows and restart it. Now it pops up with a warning and says I have too many bugs and tries to take me to the wiki (however I am at work...and been naughty....so I can't view the page atm). Despite this the confi actually runs fine this time and lets me scan channels and the works.

Because I don't have a TV antenna at hand I cant tell if it's working or not but it has found the analoge and digital tuner on my card (it sees them seperately) and now I can actually go into My TV in MP without any problems (obviously it's not populated with anything for the time being). I might post again once I have had a chance to hook the PC up to an antenna and see if I can pick up channels. Unfotuantely it won't be untill saturday morning as it's Friday and I'm in party mode already :D

Thanks for all the advice thus far btw...even though I seem to be getting it to work none of it matchs your advice so I have a feeling im stumbling my way through it and it could turn ugly soon. (as in it will all break lol)

Hopefully it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom