No channels detected with SVN 05-17-2006--07-44 (1 Viewer)

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Windows Version: MCE2005 (SP2)
    CPU Type: Pentium 4 630 @ 3GHz
    Memory: 1GB DDR
    Motherboard: MSI 915P-G-Neo2
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel 915P/G
    Motherboard Bios: AMI V02.57
    Video Card: MSI NE6600LE-TD256
    Video Card Driver: ForceWare V77.79 (MCE)
    Sound Card: CMedia 9880 HD-Audio
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: M$ UAA driver
    1. TV Card: FireDTV (FloppyDTV)
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: DBA 2.3
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    Video Codec: InterVideo
    Audio Codec: InterVideo
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2E
    HTPC Case: Sharkoon HOME digital
    Power Supply: Tagan 480W
    Remote: Microsoft MCE (European)
    TV: BENQ DV 3750
    TV - HTPC Connection: Component 720P (or 1080i)

SVN 05-17-2006--07-44

Topic:

No channels detected at all with this SVN (no video/no audio)

Cheers,
    Ronald

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i will have to test that today with my floppy-dtv
    but Sourcecode of MyTV has not been changed.

it seems you have a weak signal

17-5-2006 22:37:30 DVBGraphBDA: signal strength:63 signal quality:63 signal present:False locked:False

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Actually I have picture and sound back after installing last SVN "svn-05-17-2006--11-39.rar" (from 05-18-2006!)

Even the terrible choppy pictures from before loosing the channels completely, looks almost solved.

I always had about 85% signal quality and the picture is now crystal clear but thanks for the warning, I will check my dish this weekend.

[ADD]
    I was cheering too soon. The picture got more and more choppy over 30 to 60min until no channel could be found anymore. At this moment I am rebooting, fideling with the decoder settings etc. but are not able to get any channel back, not even for a moment: the same situation as last two days again, only today I could get all channels for about 30/60min (first TV pictures in 2 days!)
    BTW so far I only found strong satelite signals from about 85/90%
    [/ADD]

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have used latest SVN yesterday with my floppydtv.
    have been watching TV with MPA and MPV codec for 3hours, no problems.
    (please also launch start.bat after applying SVN-Snapshot!)

but on thing i have learnd with the floppy/fire-dtv products is "if they go berserk" you have to remove the power completely to get it back to normal.

pull the cables from the floppydtv (firewire and power), and wait a few minutes before you attach those cables again.

if that doesnt help, how about the heat in your HTPC case?
    once one fan quit here, the temperature in the HTPC increased soo much that i got the weirdest issues.

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your test and your time and for the tips. The temperature seems not such a bad suggestion. Actually last week or so we had some nice weather and the fans were making even more noise and more hot air come out.
    I will put it on the dressor again for some time, maybe open the casing to see if this helps. I let you know.

BTW
    I already took out the power plug of the PC for some time -the only way to switch of the fully integrated FireDTV for me- this did not help. I learned about this firedtv problem the hard way: I spend days looking for a serious distortion in vertical lines with horizontal panning shots. This was at the end also solved with the power-off of the PC (never realised that the MB ergo the firedtv remains powered when switching off the PC via the front ) :D

Start.bat (and run the setup and reboot the PC) after upgrade is standard practise for me.

Cheers,
    Ronald

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    It seems to be related to TIME SHIFT ! (I am a terrible tester that I did not check this before)

I was triggered by the report in mantis: http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=697

Yesterday -after an svn update- I got again the TV picture back. Again after an ~hour of choppy pictures everything went black.

I tried the Intervideo (this I have standard), NVidia and MPV decoders but none left me with anything else then black channels.

I unplugged my PC all night (for temperature and reset of FireDTV), when I started this morning I had still no TV at all.

I upgraded to svn 05-20-2006--01-02 still no picture and everything remained black.

Found above report in mantis and from the exact moment I switched off time shift I got TV again however a little choppy.

Rebooted the PC and again had no TV (with time shift off !).
    Switched on time shift -> still no TV
    Swiched off time shift -> choppy TV again

I have 1 FTA channel this seems to have the same problems (did not check every time)

I hope this info helps.

[EDIT]
    I was out for about 2 hours but left TV on (time shift still off): found the TV with good non-choppy picture at return :D
    I now consider that maybe I was not patient enough after last (above) reboot, meaning maybe I should have waited longer after reboot with time shift off for the picture to appear.
    [/EDIT]

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    I think I owe the MP team an appology

Sorry, but my choppy picture and time-shift problem seem to be caused by the Satelite reception (although mayby MP could handle/indicate this better?). In my defence I should say that I have not too much experience with satelite :oops:

I resume my diary:

After ~8 hours -with time-shift off- I got again the choppy picture and within ~60min no reception at all.

Upgraded to svn 05-20-2006--16-58 still no reception at all

Started ProgDVB and found the reception strength (Astra19.2E) at 80~81% BUT all channels had -for lack of better description- squircks in the sound and these MPEG compression failures (like all color square blocks, some times big/some times small random over the picture: no idea how this called in DVB circles, but I am sure you know what I mean).

Connected my standard Philips decoder -> same effect as with ProgDVB.

Adjusted my satelite dish -which was never moved as shown by the markings!- with some effort to signal strength of 82~83%

Philips decoder gave good picture

MP gave good picture for the rest of the night (still with time shift off)

This morning I switched time-shift on again and after 4 hours -until now- I still had the good picture.

~~~~~

Due to lack of experience with the satelite reception (never had any problem in the 5 months I am watching satelite and I thought ~80% was ok) I am not sure what was the problem. Maybe someone can advice:
    - Is 81~83% a reasonable strength or should I get a bigger dish (now 65cm)?
    - Is it likely that the problem was solved by 1~2% increase of reception? (or is it more likely that some other cause coincidentally solved at the same time?)

~~~~~
    BTW I think ProgDVB handeled the bad picture better. I rather see the distorded picture then no picture at all. In this case the bad picture with ProgDVB (and the standard decoder) triggered me to fiddle with the dish even though all reception indicators were green. If the pictures just go black after some update I sooner expect an MP problem :oops:
    It would be nice -if such a interference can be distincted- if such a problem could be indated in an other way then 'no channel found'.

:sorry: to have taken up your time. I hope it did not make me loose my credit with this incredible dedicated group of MP developers and testers.

(and I hope it solves my problem permanently)

Cheers,
    Ronald

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the problem with percentage values is that you do not know the real signal strengh (measured in db).

if the problem is sloved for you by adjusting the postion of your sat-dish it seems that this was the reason for you problem.

i suggest to clean the sat dish once a year with warm water WITHOUT cleaning supplies.
    i would also consider to readjust the sat-dish by a technician.

also check the cables and sockets you use to connect the devices (satz-receiver/TV-Card) to the sat-dish.
    bad connections or low-quality cables decrease the signal strenght too.

ronald2oo2 said:
    :sorry: to have taken up your time. I hope it did not make me loose my credit with this incredible dedicated group of MP developers and testers.
    thats realy not a problem :)

i hope this issue is solved now, and you can enjoy MediaPortal :)

keep testing.
    :D

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Hi,

I am running svn-05-20-2006--16-58 now for 5 days continuously with time-shift on and WITHOUT any problems.

I am happy ;)

Ronald

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom