No Colour (2 Viewers)

karltimber

Portal Member
August 16, 2005
Dublin
plugged my media centre into the tv today

Have an ATI 700 series grahics card.

I have this connected to the tv by s-video and 2 audio to a scart connector on the back of the tv.

Pict is fine and so is sound but no colour.

I opened the ATI interface but could not determine what needs to be changed. its at 60 hz with no lower value. does this value need to be changed

When I had the pc linked to a TFT the colour was fine !!!

Help !!!!

thx

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    karltimber said:
    I opened the ATI interface but could not determine what needs to be changed. its at 60 hz with no lower value. does this value need to be changed
    Yes, this could explain the lack of colour - PAL TV has a frame rate of 25Hz, so if you are sending an interlaced picture to your TV, I would think that the refresh rate should be set to 50Hz Interlaced.

karltimber

Portal Member
    August 16, 2005
    Dublin
    I tried to change this but no luck yet

I also read after doing a search that I may need an s-video to Rca connector and then to scart !!!

That a straight s-video to scart is no good - will always give black and white
    anyoe else have this problem

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    karltimber said:
    I have this connected to the tv by s-video and 2 audio to a scart connector on the back of the tv.
    I assumed by this statement that you had the correct cable - SCART can only accept Composite or RGB video.

If you are handy with electronics and a soldering iron, it is very easy to convert the S-Video to Composite, which you can then connect to the SCART. Here are some instructions on what is required.

Alternately, you can purchase ready-made cables that include this modification.

You may also want to consider using RGB video, as it gives you a much better quality picture than composite does.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It depends on your TV.
    Older TV's can't handle the S-Video input - so yes you're stuck with composite.

DMAN

Stompy

October 22, 2005
    Scart comes in both S-Video and composite forms. Older TVs can't support s-video scart. Some newer TVs (like my toshiba 32" widescreen) have some composite scarts and some s-video scarts. If your TV has more than one scart, try it in a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom