[no Bug] no 'delete this movie' option anymore? (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: W7 x64 Ultimate

Hi guys, I installed RC1 yesterday and I'm really pleased with it so far.
    There is 1 thing though that I wonder if this is by design or just a problem with my setup: in the 'system' menu accessed by the 'i' button on the remote, in the previous versions there was an option to delete a movie.
    Now, the only way to achieve this is to go through the file menu and delete the file but the .xml file remains on the system.

Is it normal that I cannot access a 1.0.2 tv server from this client - meaning the tv guide?

empezza

Portal Member
    March 21, 2009
    Jervis Bay, NSW
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can the ACTIONS box, which no longer includes "Delete this movie", be modified by the user? I can't find where it is coming from, so perhaps it is hardcoded in the program :mad:

I would also like to see the DELETE option back on the ACTIONS box.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Is this a design error or was it intended to be like this because I cannot believe that a system which is used for recording becomes less user friendly by adding steps to delete those recordings and on top of it, the left behind xml files have to be deleted afterwards.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: W7 x64 Ultimate

Hi guys, I installed RC1 yesterday and I'm really pleased with it so far.
    There is 1 thing though that I wonder if this is by design or just a problem with my setup: in the 'system' menu accessed by the 'i' button on the remote, in the previous versions there was an option to delete a movie.
    Now, the only way to achieve this is to go through the file menu and delete the file but the .xml file remains on the system.

Is it normal that I cannot access a 1.0.2 tv server from this client - meaning the tv guide?

TV-server and client must be same version - so you cannot acces a 1.0.2 TV-Server from a 1.1.0 Client.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Is this a design error or was it intended to be like this because I cannot believe that a system which is used for recording becomes less user friendly by adding steps to delete those recordings and on top of it, the left behind xml files have to be deleted afterwards.

This change was decided to keep the UI consistent. Deleting videos is not frequent, and is often done outside of MediaPortal (usually over the network), after all how did the video get there in the first place (it was not created by MediaPortal)?

Recordings on the other hand do get created by MediaPortal and need to be deleted from within MediaPortal. They can easily (and properly) be deleted if you are in the Recordings screen, by invoking the action menu and selecting the "Delete recording" option. This will delete the recording, its xml file and the database entry. Also at any time you can use the '0' key on the remote to delete a recording or video.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Guys, thanks for replying and apparently it's due to the fact that I'm using a 1.1.0 client with my 1.0.2 system as well that I'm not able to delete a recording.
    As far as I remember, I didn't see any prerequisites regarding this issue.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I totally support going for a consistent UI, but one of the main use of my system is the recording function so I can watch TV when I want and the possibility to skip commercials - manual or with comskip.

Even with both machines on RC2, you first have to select the file menu and then you can select to delete a file and for this situation I would deviate from that consistency in favor of 'ease of use'/not to many steps.

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I think that we should:
    - either not to allow to delete videos, music, pics inside MP
    - or ask the user to enter PIN code for deletion

empezza

Portal Member
    March 21, 2009
    Jervis Bay, NSW
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I think that we should:
    - either not to allow to delete videos, music, pics inside MP
    - or ask the user to enter PIN code for deletion

I strongly disagree with both of these options! As I use mouse not a keyboard to operate MP, entering a PIN to delete a file would be very inconvenient. And having to exit MP just to delete a file that I choose to delete is worse than the delete process in 1.1.0!

This change was decided to keep the UI consistent. Deleting videos is not frequent, and is often done outside of MediaPortal (usually over the network), after all how did the video get there in the first place (it was not created by MediaPortal)?

Recordings on the other hand do get created by MediaPortal and need to be deleted from within MediaPortal. They can easily (and properly) be deleted if you are in the Recordings screen, by invoking the action menu and selecting the "Delete recording" option. This will delete the recording, its xml file and the database entry. Also at any time you can use the '0' key on the remote to delete a recording or video.

Did the Development Team survey all users before coming to the conclusion that "Deleting videos is not frequent"?

The fact that video files may not be created within MP to me is totally irrelevant to the method of deleting said files.
    I record TV programs on my main PC, edit the adverts out using a proper video editing program, then transfer the edited file to my HTPC. And after watching one of these programs, I normally delete it immediately.
    As mentioned above, I do not use a a keyboard or remote control to operate MP, so using the '0' key is not an option for me.

Please put the DELETE option for video files back where it was in 1.0.2

rivera

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Another option is - provide 3 checkboxes "Allow deletion from context menu" in Configuration - separately for MyVideo, MyMusic & MyPhotos

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom