No signal detected --> now pixilated picture (1 Viewer)

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Area: My TV
MP Version: mediaportal-svn-04-09-2006--18-16
Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: XPPro SP2
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.8E
Memory: 1.5Gb PC3200 --> 2x512 Samsung TCCC + 2x256 GeIL
Motherboard Chipset: MSI 865PE Neo2
Video Card: NVidia FX5200 (dual VGA-out)
Video Card Driver: 8.1.9.8
Video Card Resolution: 1280x1024 (monitor 1) 800x600 (monitor 2)
Video Render Type: (default)
Video Codec Type & Version: Mpeg2Dec Filter (also tried DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder)
Audio Codec Type & Version: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-250
TV Card Type:
TV Card Driver: 1.18.21.22266

Synopsis: I upgraded from RC2 to RC3 and immediately to SVN 4-9. At the same time, I swapped the HTPC to an analog 32" (S-video in) from my Sony 50" HDTV (VGA-in) and I switched cards back to the FX 5200 which I'd used before my 6800.

All of my previously recordered TV plays fine. There are issues, sure (all shows display current date and time where they used to show the date and time of recording), but we were able to watch recorded shows just fine.

The problem is live TV. For a period of ~30 minutes, I had no signal, despite having mapped (and re-mapped) the channels and checking all the settings time and again. I rebooted three times, too, over the course of my efforts. I had no picture whatsoever (recorded TV still shows/plays, though).

Eventually, I must have tweaked something, because the settings listed above gave me a live TV picture again, but now it's grainy/heavily pixilated. I know it's not an actual signal problem because I plugged the coax directly into my TV and it's fine, but when it's in the PVR-250, it's grainy.

So my problem is poor picture quality for live TV with this build.

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
It's not nessesarily MP's fault. I have had this problem too with Hauppauge PVR 350.

First, make sure you have the latest hauppauge drivers?

Secondly, try installing the drivers from forum.shspvr.com instead?

brierot

Portal Member
June 25, 2005
I suspect if you have not totally clean out the installation directories, you are suffering from the same problems as I did.

Try registering the Elecard Mpeg2 demultiplexer if you have not already tried that. I had more problems than this when I migrated from RC2 to RC3 and ended up with grey TV images at first and then pixalated images (I called it jaggered). Please see this post if you are interested.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?p=84859#84859

Any suggestions to resolve my remaining problems are of course welcome!

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Home Country
It's possible, I suppose that I did not clear all traces.

• 1) I copied the old directory
    2) Removed the previous install via "Add/Removed programs"
    3) Fresh install of RC
    4) Copied over the SVN according to the directions on the SVN page
    5) Copied over my XMLTV directory from my old install
Wife permitting, I'll tinker with it more tonight.

Thank you for the replies- every little bit helps!

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Had the same problem with PVR150. Donno what I did tho to resolve it, but I was playing around with the capture size, fps, the quality control and the software shipped with the TV card and suddenly it worked (without the heavy pixelization). :roll:

It's some setting, can't say what does it tho...

thinksnow

January 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Home Country
zion22 said:
Had the same problem with PVR150. Donno what I did tho to resolve it, but I was playing around with the capture size, fps, the quality control and the software shipped with the TV card and suddenly it worked (without the heavy pixelization). :roll:

It's some setting, can't say what does it tho...
I was wondering if it might be the quality settings.

Something whacked out that I noticed was that a recent recording was much smaller in size than previous versoin ones- 1.25GB versus 2.0GB for a 1-hour show.

I don't remember what the average KBPS settings should be, though.

I think I'm just going to revert back to RC2, since that worked just fine, and leave RC3 for another day.

zion22

Portal Pro
April 6, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I decided to find out, and yes, it's the default quality settings that seems to be set very low (unless you'r gonna play the video's on your pocket-pc).

Anyways; I just turned it off and it works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom