No sound from Media Portal.... (1 Viewer)

granger

Portal Member
December 17, 2008
Wow, in what may be the most basic of questions..... I have managed to lose all sound form MP. Nothing from movies, nothing from navigating, nothing. All sound outside of MP works fine.

Whatever I did I think I managed to do it on the direct show filter section of the MP config though it may be elsewhere. I lost 5.1 sound and was trying to get back and managed to lose all sound in MP.

What settings should I use if I want 5.1 sound out of my onkyo SR TX674?

Here is what I have set:

33cb1bn.jpg

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Try going to your video card settings and changing the resolution to some other setting and then switching back again. I often lose sound over hdmi and this fixes it. In particular I lose sound when I turn off/on my tv... This is a fairly common problem and there are a few fixes for it around on the web... Changing the resolution basically forces the card to reset things. If this works for you then let us know and I'll post more about the solution I use to fix things in a cleaner way...

Andy

granger

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    That did not fix it, though I think that is close to the problem. I had sound in all other applications, just not MP. I managed to get sound back for movie playback by going into the movie player settings and changing the audio renderer (I think) from Realtek HDMI audio device to another Realtek entry. Offhand I do not remember what it was, but it got the sound back for movie playback. I am still without sound during the menus and a couple other minor areas.

The problem really started when I was trying to fix a display problem (windows, not MP). I could only get 1920*1080 @30i through my receiver (Onkyo 674 & ATI4670 connected via HDMI). I took the receiver out of the loop and went straight to the TV and 1920*1080 @ 60 worked, but obviously no surround sound. When I switched it back I ran into the DVI device detected issue, where the ATI card won't send sound. Altering settings and reconfiguring the cards did nothing so to fix I uninstalled my audio and video drivers and reinstalled. Something in this process mucked up MP.

So now I am back to where I was with my audio and video (1920*1080 @ 30i), but not with MP. I uninstalled MP last night and will reinstall after Christmas, which I'm sure will resolve the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Bryan

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are using ATI graphics (would be good if you filled out the my system details), you may want to try and upgrade to the latest drivers... I had real problems getting the HDMI audio working on some of the older video drivers...

Andy

granger

Portal Member
    December 17, 2008
    And what about keys "-", "=" and "m" - did You try to press them?

I didn't. I have it tied to my harmony (also a windows media remote) and everything was working before the HDMI swap issue. I tried volume on the remote and double checked to make sure the remote was set up ok, but I never tried to use the keyboard commands :oops:

If you are using ATI graphics (would be good if you filled out the my system details), you may want to try and upgrade to the latest drivers... I had real problems getting the HDMI audio working on some of the older video drivers...

Andy

Vista Premium 64bit
    Quad Core 2.4GHz
    6GB RAM
    640GB HD
    LG Blu-Ray Read/DVD Write
    HIS ATI 4670 512MB

I hear ya. I am running the latest version and have sound everywhere but MP. At this point though I will see what happens after the reinstall. :confused:

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I would try this (it is in German, and configs AC3Filter for spdif output):
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tipps-tricks-tutorials-176/kurzanleitung-dolby-digital-5-1-und-dts-unter-verwendung-vom-ac3filter-48769/

short version and further tipps:
    - install AC3filter and AC3file from here: AC3Filter
    - set AC3filter as audio codec in MP configuration (in all sections: TV, movie, DVD)
    - configure AC3Filter to your needs (windows startmenu -> AC3filter configuration) like output device (default audio renderer, spdif etc)
    - check out the "volme settings" in MPConfiguration/general settings - maybe you changed something there
    - install the latest Audiodriver for your setup (I guess from Realtek you need one, latest Version HD Audio 2.10 here: Realtek or http://218.210.127.131/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false)
    - play movie in MP and start Graphstudio to verify which audio codec is used (if any at all?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom