No video playback in MP. Help! (1 Viewer)

HappyHammer

May 10, 2006
Hi. This is surely the noobiest question ever, but I can't get any video files to playback in MediaPortal.

I'm running Vista Premium 32-bit with an ATI HD3580 connected to a monitor on DVI and HDTV on HDMI. I'm running MP 0.2.3.0 and I've got the latest K-Lite Codec Pack including ffdshow and Matroska Splitter.

Playback of all my SD and HD video files including .avi, .mkv and .wmv work fine outside of MP using WMP, Zoom player, VLC etc, but nothing happens when I try to play these files within MP.

I added a watched folder, launched MP, clicked on a video file and MP thinks for a few seconds (GUI freezes) but nothing starts to play. I followed the ffdshow setup instructions by Goose but it made no difference, and I tried selecting different external players but still the same behaviour.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Alex

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    if you submit the log files, I am sure you will get an answer. These can be found where you installed MP under the sub folder of logs. Zip them all up and attach them to this thread......

HappyHammer

May 10, 2006
    I'm attaching my logs. I can't make much sense of them myself. Could it be a problem that my video card is DX10?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I see you are using VMR9 - make sure you've set Deinterlace method in ATI drivers (CCC) to Automatic - otherwise you won't get any picture in MP.

Or try use EVR instead.

Other than that I don't have a clue.
    Cheers

HappyHammer

May 10, 2006
    I see you are using VMR9 - make sure you've set Deinterlace method in ATI drivers (CCC) to Automatic - otherwise you won't get any picture in MP.

Or try use EVR instead.

Other than that I don't have a clue.
    Cheers

Sorry, but you've lost me already. :-( I'm not intentionally using VMR9 over EVR, whatever the difference is. What should I be using in my set up? How do I "set Deinterlace method in ATI drivers (CCC) to Automatic"? How do I switch to EVR?

OK. I sorted it. Both suggestions (deinterlacing to automatic or enabling EVR) did the job. Thanks pnyberg!

Which is best out of VMR9 and EVR?

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If using Vista you get h.264/VC-1 GPU decoding support when using EVR.

If you are using XP SP2, you must use VMR9 to get support for offloading.

The problem with EVR (for me at least) is that I get flickering GUI when enabled...
    As I've posted in this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/flickering-tv-guide-other-overlays-evr-enabled-34864/

So if you try EVR I would be most grateful if you could check if you get the same problem with the GUI as I am (and a few others)...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom