No Videos will Play "Unable to Play" error. Windows 7 Ulimate (Tiny Edition) (1 Viewer)

luddite

Portal Member
May 1, 2008
Home Country
Hi - Its been a while since ive used media portal as I havent had a remote for the new Asrock - now i do - so i downloaded the latest media portal and installed it then rebooted and opened MP up and go to videos and select a video and with no exception every video can't play. They all work with GOM or MPC or VLC perfectly.

The error says it cant play XVID, AVC, DX50 depending on the file opened.

In MP settings > video i have 2 options - Microsoft DTV and MPC codecs. Neither work.

Obviously this is a codec issue so after some searching i found shark codec pack, CCCP and SAF. I downloaded them all but only installed shark - that failed to allow MP to play either.

Then I thought - to many codecs and uninstalled them and using codec sniper tried to remove broken codecs. Also I used Codec Tweak Tool and removed as many codecs that were broken as i could find.

I now have no codecs left apart from the direct x and gabest ones(from GOM???).

So I dont know what to do next.

Nothing will play and I dont want to make changes incase it makes it worse.

GOM, MPC, VLC still work though.

Cheers

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I now have no codecs left apart from the direct x and gabest ones(from GOM???).

So I dont know what to do next.
    If you are having trouble playing back XVid you need an XVid codec. There is the official XVid codec or FFDShow. You can not specify the XVid codec in MP config and it will get added at play time.

This is not a bug with RC3 so moving to codec forum

luddite

Portal Member
    May 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply jameson_uk and for moving to the appropriate forum. :oops:

I actually can play all the xvid encoded movies in XMBC or any other player as well as other formats - the problem is that even with those codecs installed MP will not play a single one.

It did on my winXP machine but this new asrock ion 330 will not do it with MP.

Sorry if i confused you before but simply put - no video will play in MP but will play in other players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom