No-Wiring Home Automation system? (1 Viewer)

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Near Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
I'm planning on renting a property in the near future and like the idea of home automation, however I can't do any wiring. Is there any "plug and play" home automation systems? And if there is, is it cheaper than the wired solution? Would MediaPortal support it, or would there at least be some kind of way to use it from MediaPortal?

Thanks for your support. I look forward to automating my rental property if I can ;P

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I would guess a wireless home automation system would be more expensive than a wired one. You are going to need a transmitter/receiver in each location as well as either a power supply or battery pack. You could quite easily come across problems with wireless interference, depending on how robust the wireless transition is.

Are there plugins for MP that let you do home automation? no idea, but there certainly isn't anything built in.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Are there plugins for MP that let you do home automation? no idea, but there certainly isn't anything built in.
    Yes, there is a cool looking MP plugin for Home Automation. I haven't tried it but the screenshots make me drool. :)
    You can buy adapters for home automation so that it works over the existing wiring. For example you just buy a light bulb adapter, plug your bulb into it, and plug the adapter where the bulb goes. You can then communicate (turn on and off) the bulb from a controlling device (ie. Mediaportal plugin and relevant hardware).
    Note: The devices would have to be on the same wiring circuit for the communication to be successful. I believe a single story house (in Australia) would be OK but obviously any Aussie electricians or Home Automation gurus can/should correct me.
    I will be going down the Home Automation path myself shortly so I am interested to hear how you go :)

Good luck,

Nick Name.

Grayda

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    You can buy adapters for home automation so that it works over the existing wiring. For example you just buy a light bulb adapter, plug your bulb into it, and plug the adapter where the bulb goes. You can then communicate (turn on and off) the bulb from a controlling device (ie. Mediaportal plugin and relevant hardware).
    Note: The devices would have to be on the same wiring circuit for the communication to be successful. I believe a single story house (in Australia) would be OK but obviously any Aussie electricians or Home Automation gurus can/should correct me.
    I will be going down the Home Automation path myself shortly so I am interested to hear how you go :)

Good luck,

Nick Name.

Thanks! I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure if wireless still required some wiring for the "base" unit or whether it was just "Plug in and forget". I'll investigate and share my findings when I get things running ;D

Also on my home automation chopping block, is gesture detection for an awesome "Microsoft Surface"-esque system ;D

bluenadas

Portal Member
    June 3, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For a home where running wires is improbable there is the x10/Insteon option. If properly installed with the required line bridges and filtering equipment it can be a nice setup. It uses the AC component of home wiring as a carrier.

There is also the z-wave option which is an RF based system. I do not know if either of these are supported in MP, but the Z-wave can be controlled via an RF capable remote (Harmony 890 for instance) and therefore you could integrate the light controls into the Home theater experience until such time that an interface with home automaton is in place for MP (If they ever move that direction considering that's a big beast to crack).

December 28, 2005
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Have a look at “C-Bus automation” this can be done thought mains power and is a more available option for Australian use. Again you will need to install some filters in the setup.

Additional your lighting circuits are on different circuits to your power points.

Grayda

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    For a home where running wires is improbable there is the x10/Insteon option. If properly installed with the required line bridges and filtering equipment it can be a nice setup. It uses the AC component of home wiring as a carrier.

Any idea what one would expect to pay for such a system? The problem with living in the middle of nowhere is, you don't get the range of products in store that you would elsewhere XD

Have a look at “C-Bus automation” this can be done thought mains power and is a more available option for Australian use. Again you will need to install some filters in the setup.

Additional your lighting circuits are on different circuits to your power points.

I suppose lighting would ultimately be the better thing for me to have, although I suppose I could buy some nice bright lamps to sit around the place and control. For a home theatre setup, that would be ideal ;D

Next time I go anywhere near town I'll inquire at the local Dick Smiths. I'm going to Melbourne soon so Powerhouse should have what I need. Thanks ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom