[Remote] Now Playing Info (1 Viewer)

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi,

I actually tried asking this question elsewhere a couple of weeks ago but got no responses, hopefully this is a more appropriate section.

I have several wireless touch screen UMPCs, running both CE and XP, I use these to run both x10 and MediaPortal (through simulated button presses). I use software which has a limited ability to interface with other applications.

What I would like to see is now playing information, and or have database access to MediaPortal, through the interface I built using this software (HSTouch connected to Homeseer).

One way would be to somehow retrieve this information from MediaPortal and populate the elements it provides. While this would seem to be the most secure, and direct method, I have no idea where to start.

A much more simple option would (I believe after having a look at the skinners manual) be to set up some sort of local web server which displays this info- which I could then imbed in my software.

The thing is that that seems such a simple idea, that I imagine if it can be done, it already has, what with UMPCs selling now days for less than you used to pay for a medium priced remote.

Is anyone aware of any sort of plug-in that makes internal information available externally, preferably in a html format? Or has anyone played with this idea at all, that might be able to offer a starting point for me?

Thanks

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi,

Can no one give me a hint how to interact with MP from an outside program. Surely I can't be the only one who has ever wanted to display now playing info on an external device. Or make sure that commands that were sent, were received and acted on.

I have been looking around this board for weeks now and I have to admit it seems I may be the only one.

Is it possible to pay to have specific plug-ins built?

Thanks

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi
Thanks, I think.

Not sure though why you have posted this link. Unless I am missing somthing this plug-in seems to be to stream content on the server computer.

I want to be able to control the server computer, and most importantly, display now playing info, artist, progress, that sort of thing, on the computer I am controling it with.

That plug-in does not seem to be designed to achieve that...

Thanks

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
You're correct it doesn't. I have written a process plugin which does though, I use it with the iPiMP web app to allow clients to be controlled through a Smartphone web interface, you could reuse that if you are OK diving into it's code to discover its interfaces. The source code for the client plugin is here.

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
You're correct it doesn't. I have written a process plugin which does though, I use it with the iPiMP web app to allow clients to be controlled through a Smartphone web interface, you could reuse that if you are OK diving into it's code to discover its interfaces. The source code for the client plugin is here.

Hey

Thanks that is pretty cool.

Ok so look, I don't know what you do for a living, or how much time you spend on this sort of stuff- and I really don't want to offend...

I am lazy, VB is not my thing and it would take me ages to sort out what I want to do- is there any way I could just offer to pay you something to tailor your plug-in to work with Homeseer??

Thanks

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
No offence taken.

Firstly I'll state that I'm not an application developer by trade, I'm purely a hobbyist (which is probably obvious by looking at the code and the fact it's VB :) ). And unfortunately that means that what time I have available (which isn't a lot) is used to further develop and support iPiMP. So I'll have to decline your offer, sorry.

I have tried to make the client plugin reusable though, I updated it to communicate using JSON so that others could use it, you basically send a command (like "nowplaying") in JSON format and you'll get a resopnse back in JSON format. What I don't have is a definitive list of commands, parameters and responses.

The key file to look at is MPClientController.vb. You'll see the commands accepted in there, some cammands expect parameters (e.g. "getmovingpicture" expects the movieID number), but you'll have to dig into the code to discover those.

Similarly the responses returned are undocumented but are easy to find e.g. NowPlaying.vb will show you what is returned in the JSON response to the "nowplaying" command.

I hope you get what you need from this.

brentonjames

Portal Member
April 16, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
Hi

Thanks for that.

I have only used c and java before, vb I have of course heard of but never written, and JSON is totaly new. in other words I may have a bit of a learning curve ahead:confused:.

Still thanks for the start, if I can find some time it will definitly give me a good leg up.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom