Operating System Nvidia GPU drivers (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm making this post, just because of the grief I have had trying to update my drivers on both Vista and Windows 7 (Ultimate editions)

Previously had a 6600gt and 7900gs, only once remember having to use a driver cleaner with these cards, and found out the Nvidia installer was corrupt, so redownloading solved that problem.

OK now upto date, replaced my failed 7900gs (pc startup looked like it was wearing a pinstripe suit), with a nice new Palit Sonic gt 220, just the type of card that pretty much ideal for a htpc (will be when the passive editions arrive in the shops), This I installed on 2 new installs of Vista\Win7.

The card came with driver 190.45 plus the bundled Vtune software for over clocking if you wish, now this all installed fine, everything works except 1280x720 just overscans!! (7900gs never did this using 186 driver)

Now most of the driver updates between 190.45 and 195.62 did not contain anything I wanted, but the last contained the flash HD dxva enhancement, so I downloaded it from the Nvidia.co.uk site, now the nightmare begins.

This was all done with no antivirus or other software in place, only the barebones of a brand new OS, with drivers installed and internet access, windows updates set to advise of new only.

Uninstalled old drivers (graphics\physx\audio) rebooted windows installs standard vga driver, yippee this gives 1280x720 unaccelerated desktop.

Now try installing new drivers, before running the installer, disabled Vtune overclocking software just in case It interfered with the installation., continued letting the Nvidia download exe do its thing and reboot at the end as instructed.

Now non stop crashes on the desktop with display driver has stopped responding errors and finally te dreaded blue screen of death (BSOD)

Since the above have tried safe mode\driver sweeper prior to installing, still get exactly the same thing, have worked my way through the current range of drivers upto 196.34 beta and everyone does the same thing at some point.

Over at the Nvidia forums, there are posts regarding this (driver feedback), think I may have a clue why the problems are occuring, my gpu is overclocked by default to 650Mhz against the standard 625Mhz for the 216 chip, this causes no problem whatsoever with 190.45 or earlier driver, however i I downclock to exactly 625 (626 causes BSOD :mad:) then the driver behaves itself, until something graphically challenging appears (playing HD video) then display drivers fail again.

So as a conclusion, I consider current Nvidia drivrs unusable.

Regards

MyPVR

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

perhaps you should give version 190.62 a chance. Be myself I struggeld for 2 weeks with HDCP/BDplayback if a driver any newer than this one was used.

Regards,
    MyPVR

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    perhaps you should give version 190.62 a chance

No point, nothing I wanted from this update, there were only game fixes and 190.45 works, As i said I want the ability too use dxva with flash, which comes with the last 2 driver releases.

winterescape

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I feel for ya… I would love to get the latest drivers with GPU acceleration for FLASH but the new drivers on XP SP3 with the IGP 8300 all cause the black screen when turning on the TV (HDMI) after the PC has resumed from hibernate….
    Good luck, I am hoping the NVIDIA driver folks get this fixed soon…

Still stuck w…a…y… back @ version 182.06 :mad:

Could jump to ATI and grab this card...
    http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Launches+50+DirectX+11+Cards+With+Passive+Cooling/article17605.htm

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Yes, the nVidia drivers seem very hardware sensitive - with my 9500GT, every driver I tried between 182.50 and 195.62 (exclusive) generated nasty double BSODs on resume from sleep, so were totally unusable. But 195.62 is fine - probably the best set to date (once I'd disabled the nVidia driver service to stop the screen size changes/black screens etc on resume....)

Tony

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Nvidia GPU drivers

On the other hand the small gpu based cards often show some problems here and there, e.g. not enough power
    for deinterlacing and post processing at the same time. I think sometimes more is really more, would not buy
    the low end versions again. Did that often in the past and was always disappointed, like many others. Just a thought

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi.

Just installed Latest forceware beta 257.15. I have been using 186.xx driver past 8 months, but i must admit
    this new beta looks very promsing. You can get it from NVIDIA 257.15 Beta out for grabs - Guru3D.com Forums.

My Gf8400 GS handles everything i give to it in very smooth mannger. shift+1(!) graphs are straith.

Br,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom