Nvidia Purevideo Decoder as h.264 codec (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    hi there

ive recently got my hands on some h264 movies in mkv format and was wondering if the nvidia purevideo decoder would be a viable option for decoding video for these files

at the moment the option does not appear(under the h.264 codec section of the MP setup) even tho the codec is installed

can the nvidia purevideo decoder be used for h.264 video content?

Futter73

Portal Pro
    September 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    NO! It´s a pure mpeg2 codec!
    You need to install a h.264 codec like CoreAVC or Cyberlink PowerDVD Codec.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    err..nevermind...the site says nothing about being able to play h.264 content

im using CoreAVC and its brilliant..by far the best ive seen

i was getting confused as the nvidia cards i have (6600 and 7950 in 2 different pcs) both have h.264 hardware acceleration..but its not linked in any way to the purevideo decoder

hobb

Portal Member
    August 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    err..nevermind...the site says nothing about being able to play h.264 content

im using CoreAVC and its brilliant..by far the best ive seen

i was getting confused as the nvidia cards i have (6600 and 7950 in 2 different pcs) both have h.264 hardware acceleration..but its not linked in any way to the purevideo decoder

Get PowerDVD 7.3. The Cyberlink PDVD.. [something] directshow filters included will give you hardware accelerated decoding of both mpeg2 and h.264 in MediaPortal.

It was the only way for me to see HDTV h.264 .ts streams with my Athlon x2 3500+. Hardware accelerated decoding through pdvd7 on my old integrated Nvidia 6150 graphics made a huge difference for h.264 playback. Mpeg2 decoding could actually be handled with CoreAVC or even FFDShow using just the CPU but I dont mind offloading the CPU so I use the hw accelerated cyberlink filter for that too...

/hobb

VicBond007

Portal Member
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For h.264, NVidia decided not to write a decoder, but rather license out the code needed to reference the necessary hardware functions to 3rd party developers. To add confusion, they call this technology "PureVideo HD" which is easily confused with the (very different) mpeg2 CODEC called "PureVideo". PDVD 7.3 is one of the few that can use all of the h.264 decoding features and the player installs it's own Directshow codecs, but your 7-series card only does h.264 deblocking anyways IIRC (There's a chart buried somewhere on nvidia.com). CoreAVC has an option for "enable hardware deblocking" but I have no way to test if it's actually working since deblocking a) isn't done every frame anyways and b) is way less CPU intensive than the actual act of rendering 1920x1080 pixels 24+ times a second :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom