Australia Australia
    Started on: 2011-06-11
    last update: 2011-06-11

Summary:
    Offline recordings

Area:
    MyTV

Description:
    I use MP as a TV client/server in the lounge room and it's all good. But we also use it as a TV client on 3 wireless laptops throughout the house only to watch recorded TV and it does not work very well due to patchy network performance, even on wireless N, not to mention that I take one of laptops with me on the train to watch recorded shows.

So at the moment, I manually copy the TS and XML files from the server onto the laptop, it's really fast to copy over wireless N, a few minutes for 4 GB if I bring the laptop close to the access point. Then I watch the recording with My Videos. It works however it's a bit too much manual work for the rest of the family ... the WAF is striking again!

So what I would like to see is an offline TV client that would allow MP TV clients to easily copy selected recordings on the local hard drive and allow watching in the same section. Local recordings could then be deleted from there as well.

Not too sure if this could be done through a plugin (is there a process to submit ideas for plugins?) or it would need to be dealt with the dev team.

Thanks!

JM

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Offline TV client

I think MP2 will fit your needs :) The bad side is that it will still take some time until MP2 is finished...
    Which version of MP do you use? In MP 1.2 Beta they improved the tsreader/writer a lot, so the overhead could be less ;)

jmarc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I use MP 1.1.3, not ready to use MP 1.2 yet as I need to keep the WAF as low as possible :)

I don't mind waiting, if this sort of feature is on the roadmap then great!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As far as 1.2.0 goes: I think Miroslav22's stuttering patch improved the RTSP streaming performance. You may be able to get away with streaming without copying with that improvement.

As far as the feature suggestion goes: I don't know enough about MP 2 to comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom