Completed Old HTPC in new style (1 Viewer)

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A Thanks to my wife, who was so patient with me :*

Had an old MediaCenter, which was in a horrible case.
    Goal in that time (last summer) was to build a HTPC for the cheapest price. The I decided for the variant "Ebay and single parts". The look of the case was the only negative thing. Totally I payed 229€ for the components (without HDDs which were ther before). Because I sold my POPCORN HOUR, I payed effectively 137€ for the old base and had a lot of fun :D

Because I'm thinking the case is too ugly since a few months, I bought a new one in my holidays, and by the way a new MoBo, because the old Gigabyte one shot one of my HDDs with writing BIOS infos on HDD... The I have to add 140€ to the effective price on top. But I think 277€ for the HTPC are not bad in general ;)

TecSpecs:
    - JPC HTPC Case Alu Front and piano lacquer on the sides
    - iMon LCD2 Display
    - Xilence Power Supply 550W
    - Mainboard Asrock P5D-DE with connected SPDIF Bracket for 7.1 HD-Audio (had to reassign pins connection from MSI bracket)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 1,6 - 3,0 Ghz (EIST)
    - Scythe Big Shuriken 120mm CPU-Fan
    - XFX Radeon HD5450 1GB DDR3 Fanless
    - 4 GB DDR2 RAM OCZ Reaper
    - Belkin DraftN WLAN 300Mbit/s USB
    - 2 ASRock SATA3 Controller - SATA-600 / eSATA-600 - PCI Express 2.0 x1 (totally 4 internal and 2 external SATAIII ports)
    - 1 SSD Intel X25-M 80 GB, 2´5" SSDSA2M080G2GC (System and MediaPortal)
    - 7 SATAII HDDs with total amount of 8TB (Movie / Series / Music / Pics)

- Windows 7 Ultimate Base x86
    - sharky007 Codec-Pack (LAV DXVA HW-Acceleration for HD, also VC-1; ffdshow Audio)
    - PowerDvD Ultra for BluRay
    - iMon 7.77 Software which is working wonderful with MePo
    - MediaPortal 1.2.2 with StreamedMP-Mod, MP-TV Series, Moving Pictures, Online Videos etc...

Movie or Series titles, EQ, Volume, HDD Activity etc. are shown in iMon display.

Changes:
    Because of incompatibilities between the MSI Mainboard and any graphic card i built in (ATI HD5450, NV 430GT, ATI HD6770), I switched Mobo today. Now a totally stable Asrock P5B-DE is controlling my machine without any problems. Due to the new Mainboard, I am also running the good old fanless XFX HD5450 again.

Because of just having 4 SATAII Ports on the board, I also built in an Asrock SATAIII Bracket with 2 internal ports over PCI.

Changed 256GB System IDE HDD to a Intel X25-M 80 GB, 2´5" SSDSA2M080G2GC. Now everything runs smooth, also my big movie collection in coverflow view.

Because the Asrock SATAIII PCI Bracket worked out of the box with my Mobo, I decided to install a second one.

Because a friend of mine upgraded a his NAS, I got one 1,5 TB SATAII HDD Samsung HD154UI to fit my last SATAII port. Now my project ended up with 8TB of data partition :D

Future
    -

This is new HTPC:

Videos:

Last edited:

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Change:
    Because of incompatibilities between the MSI Mainboard and any graphic card i built in (ATI HD5450, NV 430GT, ATI HD6770), I switched Mobo today. Now a totally stable Asrock P5B-DE is controlling my machine without any problems. Due to the new Mainboard, I am also running the good old fanless XFX HD5450 again.

Because of just having 4 SATAII Ports on the board, I also built in an Asrock SATAIII Bracket with 2 internal ports over PCI.

Future
    My next project will be to switch over to a SSD for the OS and Mediaportal.

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Change:
    Changed 256GB System IDE HDD to a Intel X25-M 80 GB, 2´5" SSDSA2M080G2GC. Now everything runs smooth, also my big movie collection in coverflow view.

Because the first Asrock SATAIII PCI Bracket worked out of the box with my Mobo, I decided to install a second one. The System SSD runs now in single channel mode on the PCI bracket. After inserting the MePo splashscreen into logon and desktop, it now seems that MePo is starting before OS :D

shorty1483

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Change:
    Because a friend of mine upgraded a his NAS, I got one 1,5 TB SATAII HDD Samsung HD154UI to fit my last SATAII port. Now my project ended up with 8TB of data partition :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom