Onboard GPU v Dedicated (1 Viewer)

Strattos

Portal Member
September 24, 2010
Home Country
I've just built up my first HTPC, which I later plan to do a little gaming on with an additional graphics card.

But for now I just want to use it as a dedicated HTPC.

MB: Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 Rev2
CPU: Intel Core i3 530
RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold 2x2GB OCZ3G1600LV4GK
TUNER: Hauppauge HVR2200 MCE PCIe Dual Hybrid
HDD: Western Digital Green 1TB WD10EARS
CASE: Antec Fusion Remote Black

I'm so far happy with my install of Media Portal, except for the quality of TV.

It's not the reception but the actual picture quality. It's definitely not as sharp or vibrant as the pictures coming out
of my tv's tuner. Also, when watching fast pics - like F1, there seems to be a slight slow down in frame rate at times. Not to the point of stuttering, but noticeable.

I've been told the Intel onboard GPU is pretty poor in terms of pic quality compared to a dedicated graphics card in this area. Could this be my problem?

I have yet to experiment with codecs, as I wanted to eliminate the hardware issue first before potentially breaking my install with a heap of different codecs.

I've built up heaps of pcs in the past and done a heap of gaming related stuff, but the whole vid/codec area is new to me. Can codecs make a difference in terms of tv pic quality? Playing my collection of MKVs and DIVXs seem fine - it's just the tv pic quality at this stage.

Great forum/network of people here by the way. Sorted out all my other issues in relation to setting up plugins etc through these forums.

DreadFury

Portal Pro
June 28, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The codec can make all the difference in the world.
I would suggest using the Microsoft Codec since you are on win7.

If you're using on-board intel graphics, you're going to have grief.
If you plan to buy an external card for gaming anyway, I would do so for the tv playing as well.
The intel chip is rather horrible at playing anything but low quality SD video within MP.

So,,, if the question is 'should I get a video card now or wait until I need it for gaming', if you can afford it now, get it as soon as you can because otherwise you will be fighting video quality and stutter.

while the video is playing, press shift-1 (!) and you will get live data as to how the video is playing.
it should be smooth and steady, you'll see right away if you're having issues with the stream.

good luck!

Strattos

Portal Member
September 24, 2010
Home Country
Thanks DreadFury.

Might have to drag my plastic out one more time for this HTPC.

Thanks for the input.

eyelobes

Portal Member
September 27, 2010
The HD 5750 is a fantastic card for htpc and gaming. gives you great framerates at 1080p with DX11 games and beautiful htpc functionality as well. I use it in mine. Not only is it better than an Nvidia gts 250 , it does dx11, bitstreams truehd and dts hd MA.

for about $150 you can't beat it, it's also significantly shorter than full length cards.

Crossfired they will compare to a gtx 285.

Food for thought.

DreadFury

Portal Pro
June 28, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
No problem.

If you are unsure as to how much power you need from a card, just have a quick look around the forums.
there are many discussions on peoples personal experiences with certain cards, some good, some bad.

You won't need to break the bank, but spending that 'little bit extra' might be well worth it if invested in the right hardware.

I personally have had great results from the NV9500GT as a midpoint between performance and budget.
it plays most modern games very well and can play full HD like nothing, all for a very decent price.
My 9800GTX on my gaming rig is amazing at both video and gaming, but a bit overkill for an HTPC unless you want insane gaming, besides needing additional power.

If you want more gaming power (or less) you can get other great recommendations around the hardware forum.
EDIT: Like the poster above that slipped in while I was writing. haha.

good luck, and welcome to the MP community!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did someone mention power supply might need to be higher wattage + ventilation to cope with the new found power requirements\heat, always a after thought ;)

Strattos

Portal Member
    September 24, 2010
    Home Country
    I don't see a need for a dedicated GFX unless you plan to watch 1080i TV.

This is my problem. The F1 I was watching the other night was broadcast in 1080i, as are a few other channels my area.

If I'm going to build a HTPC I want to be able to use it to get the most out of what is broadcast.

Re power supply - I'm running a Corsair 650w, which I think should be enough if the most I'm considering for a vid card is a ATI 5750 or 5770, though correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been a while since my last pc build.!

MeMeMe

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2010
    Honestly an ATI HD 5570 or 5670 should be enough for your needs, and both of them can be found as single slot cards. The 5570 if you don't plan to play modern games, the 5670 if you do. You may still have to sacrifice some visual quality on the most demanding games, but you can safely lower resolution to 1280x720, say, and let the card scale it up to TV resolution and/or abandon AA - but if you are playing from your couch, you honestly won't notice the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom