One "server" for all modern mobile platforms? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi, in a household these days there are often two or more different mobile platforms, take my household for example, personally I'm a WP7 user, my father has a Galaxy S, and my sister has an Ipod touch so all the 3 modern plarforms are in the house.

Iphone has IPIMP, Android has a couple of alternatives for the HTPC-software, WP7 has none atm, but instead of having to install multiple "servers" is there one that could work for all 3 platforms?

I'm not a programmer myself, but I'm thinking about learning, and perhaps a remote for WP7 could be a nice project, but I don't want to have to create both the server software and the WP7 software, would be alot easier if I could just develop a WP7 app that uses an excisting "server"-

Tazzios

Portal Pro
    November 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    is there one that could work for all 3 platforms?
    tv4home is being developed to be an platform.

For the remote, also look at this project. DieBagger also use it for his remote app.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You're right, things are getting a bit complex at the moment. I'm currently trying to make a list of all projects and their relation, ultimately organizing an IRC meeting with all webservice developers to make things easier for the user and to reduce duplicate effort.

I know that at least the Android remotes uses the TV4Home Core Service, which exposes the functions of the TvServer as an JSON and SOAP API to all kind of applications. This API is well-designed, used by most new projects (Android remotes, MPWebStream, TV for MP2) and actively maintenanced, so that would be a good choice for the server.

Matt Kirby

Portal Member
    June 14, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just to add -iPiMP can be used on Android as well, and can stream over Flash and Silverlight. Not sure what Win Mobile 7 can support but should be able to do at least one of those.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Atm there is neither Silverlight or Flash support in WP7, so it's very limited in the playback, but the TWIT.TV app is able to play the video versions of the podcasts through the app. But thinks will hopefully get better with the next update this fall that will bring IE9 to WP7. The thing about Ipimp is that it has that Iphone UI which I'm not too fond of. The XBMC remote for WP7 on the other hand:

XBMC Remote for windows phone 7 « ashterisk(*)

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom