Onkyo remote (1 Viewer)

robv60

Portal Member
July 25, 2008
Ok, I have been using one of the older MCE remotes with MP for a while now. Works great! However, I have the remote for my Onkyo receiver that controls my TV STB and obviously my receiver. I noticed this morning that when I press a button on my reveiver that the red LED on the front of the MCE IR receiver will turn on- which tells me that it is obviously responding to the signal from my Onkyo remote. So, I would LOVE to figure out a way to control MP with this remote, it would take me down to one working remote and simplify things. Problem is, I dont know what to do. I have looked i the forums and tried using IR server suite & WinLIRC but I cant seem to figure out what to do with either of them. I mean, all I really need is a way to launch MP and use the arrow buttons on my remote for navigation and of course play pause stop, etc. Just basic functions. Can someone help me out or point me in the right direction to something I hmay have missed?

bvbfan

September 22, 2008
Home Country
Maybe a bit of a noob comment by me but the Onyko remotes are programable/learning remotes. At least the 2 I have from a 2-4years ago are.
I figure you could program the MCE settings to an unused mode on the Onyko receiver.
Now depending on your Onkyo model (and remote) there are several ways to do it so it's best to check with the Onyko manual.
(usually involves the mode+on(/standby button)
Only issue is that the remotes can be picky with which mode accepts inputs I've found.
I've found that I had to get my satelite set in the VCR mode to work.

*I'm assuming that you have an Onyko receiver (like TX##### or similiar) and not a threatre in a box setup

robv60

Portal Member
July 25, 2008
No, mine is a "theater in a box" remote. Came with the HT-s790 system. It is supposed to be a universal remote. I can control my TV and to some extent my Sat receiver. I figure I should be able to program the MCE remote functions. My problem is that I dont know how.

bvbfan

September 22, 2008
Home Country
I had a quick look at the HTS-790 manual at http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=HT-S790_En_web.pdf

Looks like it might only be programable and not a learning remote. You could try the Media Centre, Microsoft PVR code of 1972 (read from page 58).
1. While holding down the REMOTE MODE button that you want to set (might have to use the VCR mode), press the [DISPLAY] button for 3 seconds.
2. Use the number buttons to enter the 4-digit remote control code (1972).

If that works great otherwise you might need to get a learning remote if you really want to get it to control all the components. The Harmony - Logitech ones aren't bad

robv60

Portal Member
July 25, 2008
Not for me. I can get it to lean my TV and some functions on my DVR but not the PC. Ended up getting a harmony remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom